We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Hotel? Best Western or the Block?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Topic
Which Hotel? Best Western or the Block?

Hi there

Its come down to two hotels in Big Bear and i cant decide which one. I am coming over from New Zealand with my boyfriend for a snowboarding holiday. I suspect he may enjoy 'The Block' but i am someone who likes a bit more comfort. Which would be the best? As they seem to be the same price for our dates of travel.

Thanks

Big Bear Lake
Ski & Snowboard Areas, Hiking Trails, Bodies of Water
Snow Summit
Ski & Snowboard Areas
Sugarloaf., CA.
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Hotel? Best Western or the Block?

Honestly, before I moved up here.......I had NO idea. But we went with a "cabin" rental, for several visits. I guess it depends on how much you want to spend, how long you are staying, etc. If you get a cabin rental, you will need a car.,,,,,,,,,,however; if you at the minimum, have a "kitchenette", it could save you a ton of money by food alone. You could utilize the grocery stores and "pack-up meals" for the day, snacks, etc. and save a lot of $$$$. Some of the cabins are actually in "resort areas", not private rentals (which can get very expensive as well.). We went with The Golden Bear, but we have also stayed at Cathy's Cottages...........then, we found our own home up here. If you have an interest, we would probably rent out our downstairs, (private room, private bath and private floor, private deck), private entrance. We are located in Sugarloaf, however, about 10-15 miniutes from the slopes. We live upstairs, but the downstairs is fully furnished. Queen-sized bed, full bath, big television in a very large family room with an outside deck and 2 couches.

Sugarloaf., CA.
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Hotel? Best Western or the Block?

Honestly, before I moved up here.......I had NO idea. But we went with a "cabin" rental, for several visits. I guess it depends on how much you want to spend, how long you are staying, etc. If you get a cabin rental, you will need a car.,,,,,,,,,,however; if you at the minimum, have a "kitchenette", it could save you a ton of money by food alone. You could utilize the grocery stores and "pack-up meals" for the day, snacks, etc. and save a lot of $$$$. Some of the cabins are actually in "resort areas", not private rentals (which can get very expensive as well.). We went with The Golden Bear, but we have also stayed at Cathy's Cottages...........then, we found our own home up here. If you have an interest, we would probably rent out our downstairs, (private room, private bath and private floor, private deck), private entrance. We are located in Sugarloaf, however, about 10-15 miniutes from the slopes. We live upstairs, but the downstairs is fully furnished. Queen-sized bed, full bath, big television in a very large family room with an outside deck and 2 couches.

<<Return to the Big Bear Lake forum home page

3. Re: Which Hotel? Best Western or the Block?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 pm, August 17, 2009