We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving in Beverly hills

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Thanksgiving in Beverly hills

My family of five (three well behaved kids aged 12,9,5 y.o.) will be staying at The Orlando hotel in BH this Thanksgiving. We won't have a car. Any suggestions on what to do or where to eat on Thanksgiving day?

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving in Beverly hills

Very near your hotel, 100 N, La Cienega Blvd. in Beverly Hills, is the famous Lawry's Restaurant. It would be a quick taxi ride.

The restaurant is celebrating 75 years since it's opening. They are known for their Prime Rib and table side carving service, and the staff still dress in the same style uniforms of 1938. At Thanksgiving and Christmas, they put on a special holiday meal and the restaurant is decorated.

lawrysonline.com/lawrys-primerib/beverly-hil…

It is expensive, but quite an experience you won't forget. My family has been dining here for special occasions since it's inception.

latimes.com/features/…7009884.story

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,079 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving in Beverly hills

FYI, the Orlando isn't in Beverly Hills although it sometimes is advertised that way, It's in Los Angeles, not too far from the Beverly Hills border but then it's a hike to the city center of Beverly Hills (about a 10 minute bus ride from your hotel).

Every year, we get questions like yours and I find myself giving the same response: Thanksgiving is a tradition here in the States where families (for the most part -- there are always exceptions) get together and express thanks for what they have, coupled with a traditional meal which is typically roast turkey, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin, apple or pecan pie.

This fare, while hearty and familiar to those who have eaten it over the years does not constitute 'fine dining'. Toward that end. restaurants, as of late, have been amending the menu to appeal to those who want something with a little more 'zing'.

If you google 'thanksgiving menu', you'll get courses like: 'roast beet & tangerine salad, Olive and creme fraiche mashed potatoes, Raspberry Pavlova.

You can opt for this kind of thing, of course. Lawry's which makes a decent meal, year round, is known for their prime rib and they do include a turkey option on thanksgiving, but I wouldn't eat the turkey at Lawry's just because it isn't their specialty.

My pick would be Callenders Grill which serves the traditional turkey dinner (amongst dozens of other entrees) year round. They're secondary specialty is pies (of which several are featured for the thanksgiving season). Callender's Grill is at:

5773 Wilshire Blvd

Los Angeles, CA 90036

Phone: 323-937-7952

Here's some info about the restaurant: http://www.mariecallenders.com/

As you can see, they will prepare a Thanksgiving feast for you to pick up and take home to feed your family. (They've made this meal ALOT!).

Here's a map from your hotel to the restaurant: http://mapq.st/17dtT46

It's about a 2 mile ride or a taxi fare of about $12-$14 including tip

BTW, Laury's is a fine place for Prime Rib. Consider eating there some other evening.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving in Beverly hills

Thank you for the thoughtful feedback, they both sound great!

4. Re: Thanksgiving in Beverly hills

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 30, 2014