We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help Needed

Rochester
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help Needed

Hello,

My husband and I will be coming to LA next week. We are going to be staying at Le Meridian in Beverly Hills. On Sunday and Monday I will be in a conference and my husband will be on his own. Is this hotel in a good location where he can walk or use public tranportation to explore the area? What would you recommend he see? We were planning on picking up a car on Monday evening and driving down Sunset Blvd., going to Santa Monica, etc. Tuesday is my husbands birthday and I would like to do something really special. I was thinking of driving up the coast to Santa Barbara and staying there for 2 nights, exploring the wine country. Do you have any other ideas on where to go for a short getaway? I am looking for something relaxing near the beach. If we did go to Santa Barbara, how much time should we allow to get back to LAX? Thanks in advance for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help Needed

You'll have a wonderful time in Santa Barbara. Depending on when you are leaving, without traffic - the drive is about 2 1/2 hours to LAX

Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,028 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help Needed

Your hotel is conveniently located - your husband can walk to many shops and restaurants. He can either walk down Beverly to The Grove/Farmers Market, he can walk across the street to the Beverly Center, he can walk up and down Robertson (I recommend the Newsroom Cafe for lunch), he can walk up to Melrose and shop (or get his hair cut, lots of salons).

He can take the bus to the LA County Museum (www.LACMA.org), or the Petersen Auto Museum (both are at Fairfax/Wilshire) (www.petersen.org)... or take the bus into Beverly Hills and sightsee Rodeo Drive.

You can walk to dinner - some of the best restaurants are in the area: JAR, Pane e Vino, Koi, Mandarette... go to www.la.com/dining to see addresses and reviews.

Santa Barbara is a great idea, so is Laguna Beach. Both are about 2 hours away (depending on traffic). Or, if you don't want to go too far from LA, still want to be close to LAX, and also be in a beach town, I recommend Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach or Hermosa Beach (they're all clumped together).

Mentioned in this post
Rodeo Drive
Rodeo Drive
4,532 Reviews
Beverly Hills, CA
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Redondo Beach
Redondo Beach
California
Hermosa Beach
Hermosa Beach
California
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,513 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help Needed

First, an interesting fact:

Le Meridian isn't actually in the city of Beverly Hills. The reason that they can say it is, is because the driveway to the hotel is in Beverly Hills. In reality, the hotel is just outside of the city limits of the northeast corner of Beverly Hills.

The good news is: it is very close to a busy shopping, dining and entertainment area known as the Beverly Center (also, not in Beverly Hills). The Beverly Center is at the corner of La Cienega and 3rd Street, 2 blocks north of your hotel. (For info, go to BeverlyCenter.com)

The other great news is that there is a lot to see (as Yogachik mentioned) within 5 or 10 minutes of the hotel. There is a special bus system called the DASH that features short routes that tend to "loop around" to their starting point. In essence, the buses go in little circles within specific communities. The fare is 25 cents (a bargain) and they are great for exploring this area.

Go to these links for maps of the 3 DASH lines that will take you (ot your husband) to most of the local attractions:

1. ladottransit.com/dash/routes/holly_westholly…

2. ladottransit.com/dash/…fairfax.html

The home page for the DASH is at:

http://www.ladottransit.com/dash/

Use the vertical "slide bar" on the right side of each map to magnify the maps. You can move the maps around by clicking and dragging them.

Your hotel is just below the intersection of 3rd Street and LaCienega (2 blocks south) and, as you can see, between the 3 different DASH routes (note the colors of the lines as described in the maps' legends), you can get to Robertson Bl, Fairfax Av and all points in between. BTW. you can also take the RED-COLORED HOLLYWOOD/WEST HOLLYWOOD DASH north off the map and it will drop you adjacent to the Chinese Theatre on Hollywood Bl and Highland Av in Hollywood.

Have fun!

4. Re: Itinerary Help Needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, August 15, 2009