We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple from Oz Mid 40's - where to stay in Sept for week?

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Couple from Oz Mid 40's - where to stay in Sept for week?

Hi All

Am back again, this time planning a trip for hubby and I to go to LA for probably week to 10 days (he will be doing some business, but its just driving around all over LA looking at muscle cars) I will do some relaxing and enjoy the ride :-)

We came to the US last year for 5 weeks with the teenage kids too. Spent 4 nights at the Beverly Hilton, more than happy with it. Had a great pool are and seemed central enough for us, but when out we where in the car..

Now, I want a nice place (not over the top ) with a nice pool with facilities around, prefer walking distance for restuarants etc

I am happy to stay at Beverly Hilton again, but I like to experience different things, and wondered should I be looking somewhere else?? I have even considered staying Santa Monica, just for the sake of it, but is it "worth it"

As I said, will be doing some business, topped with some "couple time". Am assuming the weather is still warm then, so starting thinking staying on the beach might be nice???

Hubbie wont have any set places to go too, will just be driving around LA checking out cars etc, so we just need to be based somewhere central enough and safe

Thanks again

blonde

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
554 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple from Oz Mid 40's - where to stay in Sept for week?

Well, Santa Monica is comfortable and safe and in walking distance to restaurants. You could venture futher south to Manhattan Beach...how about Orange County?? O/w I would stick with Santa Monica or Beverly Hills.

Oh, I used to live in Pasadena. It is such a charming city. If you want to break up your trip, you could spend a couple nights at the Langham (beautiful historical hotel) or try the Westin.

Happy travels.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,931 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple from Oz Mid 40's - where to stay in Sept for week?

I would definitely split your holiday into 2 parts:

1. Part of the time in Santa Monica

2. The other part "more inland" like West Hollywood (the Sunset Strip), the Beverly Grove area (just east of Beverly Hills) or Hollywood. All of these neighborhoods have lots of dining options.

Some hotels ideas are:

1. Santa Monica: The Fairmont -- right in the middle of everything

2. West Hollywood: The London

3. Beverly Grove: the Sofitel -- hotwire.com often has this property 'on sale'. Look for the

4.5-star hotel in Beverly Hills - West Hollywood

4. Hollywood -- Hollywood Renaissance

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple from Oz Mid 40's - where to stay in Sept for week?

HSJ

thanks for your post

Can u please advise 'why" u would recommend we should split in two parts???

I cant recall too much from past trip 12 months ago, as we didnt spend a lot of time in LA ( 2 days) but with a car, isnt Santa Monica/Beverly Hills etc all close by??

We wont be doing "touristy" stuff as such, did that last time with the kids. Just need to be in a nice safe place where it has a nice pool, and convenient to getting around in car.....

What do you think of the beverly Hilton location as such? As a hotel it met our needs last time........

cheers

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,245 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple from Oz Mid 40's - where to stay in Sept for week?

Did I miss when this trip is planned? You ask about weather, but I don't see when it is...

Santa Monica, someplace like The Loews, would be a great change for you, in a great spot (walk to restaurants and shops), has a great pool, is on the beach.

Beverly Hilton, to me, is one of the great mid-priced hotels for visiting LA and well located.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple from Oz Mid 40's - where to stay in Sept for week?

yogachick

just in my heading for the thread is says Sept, but I guess I should have put it in the blurb.....

Do u feel I need to split my 10 days or so up, like so much time at Beverly Hilton and so much at Santa Monica

We where actually thinking of doing 8 days or so LA then flying to Riveria Maya for 5 nightsts. But looking the flights are not really direct , going via all sorts of places and spending a day travelling :-(

Im now thinking of basing myself at liek teh beverly Hilton for a 7 days or so for ease for business then heading off either up the coast doing the driv e to San Fran or parking for 5-6 nights at a great beach spot ..

Your thoughts?

We booked Beverly Hilton on our trip last march due to your recs too and where very very happy :-)

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,245 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Couple from Oz Mid 40's - where to stay in Sept for week?

September is so hot that I would stay at Loews Santa Monica and spend that time at the beach. It's so nice at night, you'll love walking to restaurants and bars during our "Indian Summer". It's such an amazing time of year.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Couple from Oz Mid 40's - where to stay in Sept for week?

yogachick

thanks for that

So.....for ease for business, would u say stay at Beverly Hilton 5-7 days for getting around all over LA then move accross to Loewes, or do you think Santa Monica is a good enough base for getting around too???

What about the coastal drive up to San fran? We didnt do it last time, and upon all reports we sort of regret it, so wondering if we should factor that in??

My husband imports muscle cars, so just wants a base in LA to go looking at them, we need to be close enough to airport too in first week so that he can jump on a quick flight if he needs to go to another state for viewing.......

cheers

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Couple from Oz Mid 40's - where to stay in Sept for week?

I'd stay in Santa Monica the whole time, because of the chance of a heat wave. You'll have no trouble getting around if you stay away from 8 to 10m in the mornings and 4:30 to 7:30 pm at night, so try to plan your outings around decent travel hours when possible. It might depend on WHERE in LA your husband is going to need to be, however.

With 10 days, and beautiful September, you should definitely try to plan a 2 or 3 day trip up the coast. Just hire your car one-way from LAX to SFO, and plan your return flight from SFO.

9. Re: Couple from Oz Mid 40's - where to stay in Sept for week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 06, 2010