We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bevery Hills to KNBC Burbank by bus or metro

Beverly Hills
10 posts
Save Topic
Bevery Hills to KNBC Burbank by bus or metro

Hello, I live in Beverly Hills area, and for a class session I need to go to the KNBC studios located at 3000 W. Alameda Ave. in Burbank.

I'm planning to take a taxi, but I know it would be a little expensive, so I was hoping someone could give me directions for taking a bus/metro route from Beverly Hills, (near the Santa Monica Blvd. and Wilshire) to that address on Burbank and for returning also.

I'll really appreciate it if someone you could help me.

Thanks in advance and have a good day!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,774 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bevery Hills to KNBC Burbank by bus or metro

The schedules vary depending on the day of the week and time of day. The MTA.NET website will provide bus and metro rail routes for you, however, in looking at the site for your route, it doesn't appear to give reliable info. The good news is: the fare would be less than $6, round trip. The bad news

is: you'd have to take 3 buses/metro rail trains in succession.

I would suggest the following:

1. Take the #704 bus(or #4, which ever comes first) from Santa Monica Bl & Wilshire, eastbound on Santa Monica to the corner of Santa Monica & Fairfax.

2. Transfer to the #780 or #217 bus northbounnd on Fairfax and get off at Hollywood & Highland.

The transfer, thus far will take 30 to 40 minutes.

Now, for the rest of the trip, go to MTA.NET. Enter your starting point as:

Hollywood / Highland

and your ending point as

3000 Alameda (select "Burbank" when prompted to do so).

There are three routes between Hollywood & Highland and 3000 Alameda. Depending on the time of day, one route is preferable over the others. (Do not use MTA.NET for the COMPLETE route from Santa Monica/Wilshire to 3000 Alameda because it will suggest a very long, inconvenient route).

All in all, the transfer should take about 1 hour, 15 minutes at a cost of between $5 and $5.60 round trip. (Buy a $5 day pass from the first bus driver of the dsy for unlimited rides on METRO buses and METRO rail. (There is a possiblity that you might need to pay an additional 60 cents depending on which of the routes you take for the last part of the trip).

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,004 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bevery Hills to KNBC Burbank by bus or metro

The day pass is $5 even, and based on the starting and ending points for this trip, there should be no reason for using an express bus or anything else that requires an additional fare.

HSJ covered your trip pretty well. Take the 4 or 704 from Santa Monica/Wilshire to Santa Monica/Fairfax, then the 217 or 780 north to Hollywood/Highland, then do one of three things:

1. or 2. Take the Red Line (subway) north to Universal City station and catch the 96 or 155 east to the studios.

3. Take the 163 east/north to Hollywood Way/Riverside and walk several blocks east.

It's not as painful as it sounds, just a bit confusing due to transferring twice in Hollywood.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bevery Hills to KNBC Burbank by bus or metro

It's not the 163 anymore, it's the 222 bus that goes north from McDonald's on Hollywood Blvd , to Warner Brothers/Riverside/Hollywood Way. A couple blocks walk from there to NBC.

After the show, the Burbank Blue Bus runs(free) from the front door of NBC, to the Red Line NoHo Metro. Red line it down to Hollywood that way. (careful, not all blue buses go to Red Line, make sure it says NOHO on the bus).

Beverly Hills
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bevery Hills to KNBC Burbank by bus or metro

Thanks for your answers HSJ, DavDave and JoeSorce, you guys are quick!. I just have a couple of cuestions:

1. Where do you buy the one day pass? Do I ask for it to the bus driver?

2. I understand the directions you gave me are for going from my location in Beverly Hills to the KNBC studios in Burbank. To go back from Burbank to Beverly Hills means just following the same directions backwards right?, for example I just cross the street from where the bus dropped me and I take the same bus number, right?

Thanks a lot once again, I'm new in this town and I'm just getting to know it, but you're being really helpfull

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,004 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bevery Hills to KNBC Burbank by bus or metro

Joe: Thanks for the correction! I've actually been on the 222 and should have gotten it right, but old habits die hard! *blush*

Newbie: Yes, you are correct. Buy your pass when you get on the bus, and just reverse the directions to get back home. However, do note that if you take the 222 home, you should get off when the bus first turns onto Hollywood Blvd. That way you can just catch the 217 or 780 right there. (Hollywood/Highland is the end of the line for the 222, so it does something funky around there.)

Also, the Burbank Bus route mentioned above may work for you to get back home via the Red Line, but it runs to a different station than Universal City, so you would be going out of your way.

http://www.metro.net

http://www.burbankbus.org

Beverly Hills
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bevery Hills to KNBC Burbank by bus or metro

Thanks guys!, I'll make a trip one of these days following your directions so that I don't have any problem the day of the class.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,774 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bevery Hills to KNBC Burbank by bus or metro

Newbie, be sure to have exact change ($5) for the DAy Pass.

Dav, I made reference to the 60-cent surcharge because the Burbank bus is one of the routes available between Holywood & Highland and the OP's destination. This bus's fare is not included in the day pass so there would be a surcharge for riding this bus. Since we don't know what tine of day the OP is traveling (and therefore, which bus will pull up first), having the extra change affords the rider the ability to take either route. The other two routes (the #96 metro bus and the #155 metro bus) run only twice and once (respectively) an hour so having the Burbank bus as an alternate seems fitting as the OP will be dressed in his/her finest, nervously waiting to get to the re-union.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,004 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bevery Hills to KNBC Burbank by bus or metro

According to its Web site, Burbank Bus is free to passengers with Metrolink and MTA passes. Otherwise it is $1. So expect to pay nothing for the service, but bring an extra $1 just in case!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,774 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bevery Hills to KNBC Burbank by bus or metro

Ok, I've figured out the problem:

1.The METRO website (MTA.NET or METRO.NET), will not show a 3-part transfer from Beverly Hills to Burbank for your route. Instead, it provides a route using only 2 buses that takes much longer than the bus + metro rail + bus option we've discussed. As a result, since there are only 2 buses in the METRO.NET suggested route, a $5 DAY PASS is not recommended (since there is no savings associated with using a pass on a 2-part transfer).

2. However, since the most time-efficient route is the 3-part method mentioned above, then a DAY PASS would be recommended (since it will save you some money). Once you have purchased the DAY PASS, it will be honored on the Burbank bus (making the fare for that bus "free").

3. If, for some reason, you decide NOT to buy a DAY PASS, then you would need to purchase a 30-cent transfer (from the Metro system to the Burbank system) and, if you failed to buy the transfer, the fare on the Burbank bus would be $1

Whew!

Beverly Hills
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bevery Hills to KNBC Burbank by bus or metro

Thanks to all of you for your answers. I used the $5 one day pass for the whole trip with no problem. Your directions where really accurate and helpfull.

Thanks again!