We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burbank Airport to Bev Hills

Columbus, Ohio
11 posts
Save Topic
Burbank Airport to Bev Hills

Hi!

I will be landing in Burbank @ 5:30 on a Friday evening...I have been warned to linger in the area before attempting to cab it to Bev Hills to my hotel as the traffic is said to be horrendous. Is my dear friend exaggerating? Do I really need to wait until 8pm in order to avoid a cab ride that is over an hour? And...is it really going to run me $60???

Thanks all :-)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Burbank Airport to Bev Hills

Good afternoon

Traffic in LA is (almost always) horrendous to start with. Whatever route your cab will take ( including Laurel, Beverly or Coldwater canyon ) there is no way to estimate your run time.

For the cost that sounds right if your add the extra time listening to the clicketyclick of the meter while stuck in traffic.

Meherio

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,310 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Burbank Airport to Bev Hills

The taxi will, indeed, be about $60. Leave whenever you land, your taxi will know a shortcut (over Cahuenga to Sunset, or Laurel Canyon or Coldwater) to BH. Traffic East to West shouldn't be too terrible, anyway, it's worse the other direction.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
17,224 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Burbank Airport to Bev Hills

Why not take a shuttle bus? With that option you would have a fixed price, regardless of the traffic

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,961 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Burbank Airport to Bev Hills

Sorry to tell you the traffic will be terrible. I live ibetween Burbank and Beverly Hills and Friday evening traffic is THE WORST. In spite of Yogachik's optimistic attitude, all of the "short cuts" are packed with traffic.

There's good news, though. Bob Hope Airport in Burbank is a great place to land. The airport handles 1/10th the traffic that LAX does so it will be a lot less stressful at the airport than LAX. (BTW, if you land at LAX, you'll hit bad traffic there as well).

Here's an idea.

If you don't have a lot of luggage.....

You could grab a train from the airport (there's a train station next to the terminals). Just turn right when you reach the sidewalk and walk past the end of terminal area and about 1 minute later, you'll see the train station.

There's a 5:55 pm departure that arrives at Union Station in downtown L.A. at 6:20. The fare is $5.25. The train is quite pleasant -- large, comfy seats, you can stretch your legs, use the restroom, eat a snack (bring it with you).

At Union Station, transfer to the Purple Line metro rail (Take the escalator down 1 level). Take the next train (they run every 12 minutes) for the 13 minute ride to the end of the line, the Wilshire / Western station. The fare is ordinarily $1.25 but if you show your Metrolink train ticket (from the train ride from the arrport), the ride is free.

You should arrive at the corner of Wilshire Bl & Western Av at 6:46, relatively unruffled and having spent only $5.25. Continuing westbound on Wilshire Bl will bring you into the center of Beverly Hills. To accomplish this, you have 2 choices:

a. Hop on the next #720 metro rapid bus (they run every 10 minutes) in front of the metro rail station. Take the bus down Wilshire and get off near your hotel. The ride to the center of Beverly Hills (corner of Beverly Drive and Wilshire Bl) will take 20 minutes. The fare is $1.25. Keep in mind that this 20 minute trip covers only 5 miles and the bus is an EXPRESS BUS, stopping only at major stops. So, that's an average of only 15 miles per hour. This should give you an idea of how bad the traffic is. Ugh! You'll arrive in BH at around 7:14, having spent $6.50. The entire transfer will have taken 1 hour, 19 minutes.

b. Instead of the bus, take a taxi from the metro station to your hotel. (You should probably do this -- you deserve it! Besides, it's unlikely that your hotel will be on Wilshire Bl so the bus wouldn't get you all the way there). The taxi will cost about $20-$25 depending on traffic. Total cost of this option $25 to $30 and you'll arrive at about 7:05.

BTW, the taxi ride from the airport to Beverly Hills is about 13 miles. At standard taxi rates, the ride WITHOUT TRAFFIC, should take about 40 minutes and cost $35. With traffic, expect 30 minutes longer at a cost of $26.53 per hour of "waiting time" (when the taxi is standing still in traffic). So, $35 + 1/2 of $26.53 = $48.26 + tip = $55.50 (in other words, close to $60, as predicted).

The taxi ride from the airport will get you to BH at about the same time as the train + metro rail + taxi option but it will cost twice as much and require you to sit in a taxi for an hour.

Of course, if you are loaded with luggage, then taking a taxi from the airport to BH is the only option.

Have fun!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Burbank Airport to Bev Hills

Good morning HSJ

I get now where your handle comes from....

Great job describing all the transfers, I am sweating just reading your response.... Need a nap now.

meherio

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,310 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Burbank Airport to Bev Hills

YIkes! In spite of HSJ's incredible instructions and directions, I'm exhausted at the prospect of all that transferring and lugging luggage. Just get a cab when you land, and make life easy. If you sit in traffic, so be it.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,961 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Burbank Airport to Bev Hills

You guys are out of shape. I'll meet you at the track tomorrow, 6 a.m. for my daily 10K.

8. Re: Burbank Airport to Bev Hills

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, September 13, 2009