We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking Ban

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking Ban

Does this really mean I can get fined if I smoke a cigarette in Beverly Hills? Are your council members serious? I agree that smoking in close quarters is not a good idea, but on the street? Can we count on them to invoke prohibition next?

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
316 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking Ban

Possibly...and thank you for not smoking.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking Ban

Don't be surprised if it's soon a felony in California.

Beverly hills...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking Ban

You don't even live in bev hills so you wouldn't know what it's like! We pay a lot of money to keep our streets clean so if you want to smoke.... go to compton!

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking Ban

The problem is that a small percentage of smokers (not all of them by any means) are extremely rude and inconsiderate. They empty their car ashtrays in the parking lots, throw their stubs on the ground - even when there are ashtrays, throw lit butts out of car windows, light up nest to you and your children even though you were there first, disregard no smoking post or designated smoking areas, almost burn your kids by walking real close to you and waving their arms around, standing by entrances to buildings and blowing smoke towards the door so you have to walk through it, etc... Unfortunately because of these few - many people are completely turned off to smokers in general and due to their lack of common courtesy - laws need to be put in place to make sure people do the right thing. Plus the reality is - it is a health hazard to everyone around you. You want to harm yourself go for it - but don't harm my friends or my kids.

Drinking only harms yourself - it is illegal to drive after drinking - so there are already laws regarding that.

Hope you'll be able to enjoy yourself and if not - please find a different place to visit.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,889 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoking Ban

Hmmm, rather a harsh overtone to the answers here, mamababoo, but before you get upset, you should also keep in mind Pioneer Square.

6. Re: Smoking Ban

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, September 20, 2009