We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting my bearings about places to grab food to go.

Which Berkeley hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
288 reviews
Save Topic
Getting my bearings about places to grab food to go.

I will be commuting by car daily between 4000 area of Shattuck Street in Oakland and the 1200 area of Curtis Street in the Berkeley 'flatlands.' I would like to stop in at various times of day and get some quick, well--prepared healthy dine-in or to go foods on my general route. This could range from a Whole Foods type place to a small deli, casual cafe or bakery with good food. I'd need to be able to park close by. Would you have any suggestions? Thanks

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,699 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting my bearings about places to grab food to go.

Berkeley Bowl is the local market with deli etc. There's a parking lot though it can get crowded at times. Other spots are near the Rockridge BART station. I think there's a Safeway and parking nearby. College and Asby is the another area. Parking is tougher here though I eventually find some circling around.b

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting my bearings about places to grab food to go.

Ashby

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,699 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting my bearings about places to grab food to go.

Yes Ashby. ; )

I forgot Gourmet Ghetto on Shattuck on the north side. Andronico's Market across from Chez Panisse has a deli and parking though they sometimes have security checking to make sure you're not going elsewhere... Cheeseboard Collective down the street. Plenty of other stuff too like vegan Gratitude Cafe. If you are not in a hurry and can walk a bit, usually some street parking.

Edited: 1:04 am, April 16, 2014
little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting my bearings about places to grab food to go.

These look to be some interesting places. Thanks for pointing them out for me. Gratitude Cafe sounds interesting. Do you recommend any casual places for Indian or mediterranean foods?

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting my bearings about places to grab food to go.

This commute is along Sacramento Street, which is mostly a residential street. (Google Maps may suggest using the freeway, but don't fall for it. Taking the freeway will always be the less direct and longer option.) Starting from north to south, here are some highlights along this route:

Westbrae neighborhood, around Gilman & Curtis - There is a bagel shop and health food market here. Also, a biergarten (with food trucks) is slated to open in May.

Around Gilman & San Pablo - There is a Chipotle at Gilman & San Pablo next to the REI, and a Whole Foods is currently under construction at Gilman & 10th and should open later this year. Unfortunately the Walgreens at this particular corner does not have any of the food service items seen at larger Walgreens locations.

Around Sacramento & University - There is a taqueria one block to the west, almost right at the corner of University & Acton (next to the Savers thrift store). There is a vegan grocery store one block to the east, very close to the corner of University & California. The 7-Eleven at University & Sacramento does not have any freshly prepared or healthy foods, sorry to say.

Around Sacramento & Dwight - There is a popular Indian restaurant here, and they can prepare food to-go. There is a brunch spot here too, but I am not sure what kind of lunch service they offer.

Around Sacramento & 65th - Moxy Beer Garden is in this area, as well as Take 5 Cafe. Moxy is not to-go friendly, but you can pick something up at Take 5.

Around San Pablo & Alcatraz - Actual Cafe and Victory Burger are at this corner, and they are worth the short diversion if you are curious. Not necessarily healthy but always fresh.

Around Shattuck & 45th - There are countless restaurants and cafes up and down Telegraph. There is even a popular deli at the corner of Telegraph & 51st with decent parking availability.

Good luck!

6. Re: Getting my bearings about places to grab food to go.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 30, 2015