We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendation for small group

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant recommendation for small group

In late June, we are having a mini-family reunion in Berkeley. There will be about 12 of us. We are looking for a restaurant where we can spend a couple of hours eating, having a drink, and talking. Nothing too expensive.

Someone suggested two places to me. One is called Au Coquelet and the other is Brennan's. But Brennan's appears to be a sports bar and if there is a game it could be noisy and crowded.

Any suggestions.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant recommendation for small group

FIVE in the Hotel Shattuck is lovely, has good New American food, and won't rush you.

Jupiter on Shattuck has lots of great food, is a micro-brewery with great beers, and has an amazing outdoor seating area perfect for groups.

Angeline's, also on Shattuck, has the BEST New Orleans/Southern food, amazing drinks, and a really cool vibe. You may have to wait for a bit, unless you're able to make a reservation.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant recommendation for small group

Thanks for the suggestions.

Hillsborough NC
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant recommendation for small group

Have you already made your reservations at the Shattuck? We have a block of rooms that we set aside for a wedding and now it is cancelled. It is for July 5 and 6. We would love to have someone use these rooms using our block code so that we can fulfill our obligations to the Shattuck, otherwise we are responsible for 75% cost of the rooms. Any interest?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant recommendation for small group

Thanks, but we are looking at the end of June. Good luck.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,953 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant recommendation for small group

What kind of food and ambiance do you want? Do you have a specific price point in mind? Any specific neighborhood? A reservation of 12 can be accommodated at many restaurants in town, so we need a little more guidance to give you the best recommendations. Otherwise you will get generalized recommendations, such as in response #1. Coincidentally, I probably would not recommend those places for larger groups.

Edited: 2:47 pm, April 16, 2013
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant recommendation for small group

Is Chez Panisse still a great place?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant recommendation for small group

Somewhere along Shattuck or near the Univ. would be fine. I don't know Berkeley neighborhoods as I have not been there for many, many, many years. No expensive places, but decent food. Ideal place for me would have decent beer on tap.. Most important is a casual spot where we can eat and hang out without being hassled. And, one of our group has food allergies, so no fish/seafood places.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,953 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant recommendation for small group

Thanks for the additional detail, Grizz. One place rises to the top when you put it that way: Pyramid Brewery. Pyramid (http://www.pyramidbrew.com/alehouses/berkeley) is a large two-floor restaurant space with an enormous attached brewery that should be able to accommodate your group.

Pyramid is popular for its great beer (I'm a fan of the Hefeweizen and Apricot Ale) and serves decent food at reasonable prices too. It's not the fanciest or most delicious restaurant in town, but I think it's just what you're looking for. While you are there, be sure to check out the free brewery tour, which is held daily at 4 PM.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant recommendation for small group

Thanks. Brew pubs are among my favorite locations. I am currently sampling the local beers in Tucson.

Berkeley, California
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant recommendation for small group

A few places can accomodate a group, but can be on the high end price wise. Olivetto's (actually North Oakland but right in the Rockridge area near Berkeley) has a private room off the main dining area. Lalimes in North Berkeley (my personal favorite) but not sure if their private room can accomodate 12; I know it can take 10. I believe Cafe Rouge has an upstairs, and that's in the nice Fourth Street area.