We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking Downtown this weekend-staying YMCA-Activities?

Which Berkeley hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
auckland new zealand
Level Contributor
37 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Parking Downtown this weekend-staying YMCA-Activities?

Hi

we plan on staying at the Berkeley YMCA this Saturday. There are few forum comments on it and only one review since 2010. Does anyone have any recent feedback on it? f not I'll try to make sure I do a review after we've been.

Also suggestions on parking would be helpful (location is 2001 Allston Way 2 blocks South of University 1block West of Shattuck). Will street parking be available and safe or do you suggest a particular parking building or car park and what kind of charges are involved on the weekend? We will be using the car at least Saturday evening.

Looking forward to a flying visit to Berkeley driving in from Yosemite and flying out Sunday night. Any suggestions for points of interest on the journey and getting a flavour of modern Berkeley, particularly it's environmentalism/wholefoods aspects would be very welcome. Sorry the Cheeseboard Pizza co-op isn't open Sunday, sounds like a co-op that has really thrived.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking Downtown this weekend-staying YMCA-Activities?

I have not stayed at the YMCA, but I am a member of the Y's gym, which is next door. The area is safe and clean, and assuming the hotel is run like the gym, your stay should be fine. I would love to read your review after you stay there!

Street parking immediately surrounding the YMCA is metered only. However, meters are enforced only until 6 PM on Saturday and not at all on Sunday. You can park in any space--except disabled or electric vehicle spaces, unless you have a permit of course--without worry so long as there are no overnight street sweeping restrictions. Berkeley doesn't typically have overnight street sweeping, especially on Saturday nights.

If you park a block west of the YMCA, you will be in a mostly residential area. The parking restrictions there vary from block to block and from side of street to side of street, but you typically can park without any hassles starting at 7 PM Saturday and anytime overnight or Sunday.

If street parking does not work for you, there is a parking garage immediately adjacent to the YMCA. The entrance is on Center Street (one block north of the Y) and the exit is adjacent to the gym on Allston Way. Overnight parking is usually reasonable--$5 or so--but the garage usually closes from midnight to 8 AM. Check signage to confirm.

Assuming you arrive early enough on Saturday night, definitely make the effort to visit the Cheeseboard Pizza Collective. It is open until 8 PM. Several of the local restaurants, cafes, and shops are environmentally conscious, organic, vegetarian, slow food inspired, etc. I'm so used to it here that it's difficult for me to point out one particular place! Is there anything in particular you are interested in? Type of food, type of coffee, type of store, etc.?

auckland new zealand
Level Contributor
37 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking Downtown this weekend-staying YMCA-Activities?

Thanks for the prompt helpful reply. We're pretty eclectic re food but like European style freshly ground espresso rather than the chains like Starbucks and atmosphere always adds to the experience.

On another tack we hear Arts and Crafts domestic architecture is a feature of Berkeley. Any suggestions on an area/streets to take a walk?

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking Downtown this weekend-staying YMCA-Activities?

I am not a connoisseur of coffee, but you may want to consider these cafes:

Local 123 - Located in West Berkeley - http://www.yelp.com/biz/local-123-berkeley

French Hotel - Located in North Berkeley (Gourmet Ghetto) near the Cheeseboard - www.yelp.com/biz/french-hotel-cafe-berkeley

Philz Coffee - Also located in North Berkeley. Technically, it's a small local chain - www.yelp.com/biz/philz-coffee-berkeley-2

Peet's Coffee & Tea - The original location is in North Berkeley. Yes it's a chain (and I don't even like it personally) but this is the first one and Peet's is very popular here in Northern California - yelp.com/biz/peets-coffee-and-tea-berkeley

An obvious favorite for foodies is Chez Panisse, located in the Gourmet Ghetto. I've never actually eaten there since I'm vegetarian, although I will try the cafe someday... More info: yelp.com/biz/chez-panisse-restaurant-berkeley and www.yelp.com/biz/chez-panisse-cafe-berkeley

I have been eating out in Oakland lately, but I plan on going to Gather in the next couple weeks based on all the good press it's getting: http://www.yelp.com/biz/gather-berkeley

For lunch, try Cafe Intermezzo on colorful Telegraph Avenue: www.yelp.com/biz/cafe-intermezzo-berkeley

For brunch, try Fellini on University Avenue: http://www.yelp.com/biz/fellini-berkeley

And last but not least, for the most unique Sunday brunch offering, go to the Thai temple! See here: yelp.com/biz/wat-mongkolratanaram-berkeley

san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking Downtown this weekend-staying YMCA-Activities?

for Berkeley flavor walk up and down Shattuck Avenue, then go a few blocks west to Telegrpah Avenue where the most intersting activity is on the seven blocks or so leading north to the university.

5. Re: Parking Downtown this weekend-staying YMCA-Activities?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 21, 2012