We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Shattuck Plaza or Claremont Resort if I need to park

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Shattuck Plaza or Claremont Resort if I need to park

I'll have a car with me, and I've read several reviews mentioning the parking for the Hotel Shattuck Plaza is at an adjacent lot which is closed at night. Has anyone had recent experience with either one?

Which would you choose?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Shattuck Plaza or Claremont Resort if I need to park

Also, has anyone stayed at Berkeley City Club? Their website also mentions parking at a fee, but doesn't mention where the parking is, or how much it costs.

Are there any nice hotels in the Berkeley area that include parking and/or have parking on site?

Thanks for any of your comments!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Shattuck Plaza or Claremont Resort if I need to park

Also, does anyone know how much Hotel Durant charges for parking? They mention valet parking on their website, but don't seem to mention the price.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Shattuck Plaza or Claremont Resort if I need to park

The Hotel Shattuck Plaza is the nicest hotel of the ones you mentioned. The Claremont and Hotel Durant are nice but a bit aged, whereas the HSP was completely renovated last year. I keep reading reports that the Claremont is a bit hit-and-miss these days with service and amenities, but one can usually find a good rate for it on Priceline and/or Hotwire.

If memory serves me correctly, the lot next to the Hotel Shattuck Plaza is open 5:30 AM to midnight. Overnight parking is permitted, but access is closed at that time. There are a couple other garages downtown, but I believe they have similar hours.

I have not seen parking adjacent to the Hotel Durant, so they probably use a small lot tucked away in the neighborhood. Valet may be expensive.

There is a small parking lot/deck located next to the Berkeley City Club. Along with the Claremont, this is the only other hotel you've mentioned with on-site parking.

The Doubletree at the Marina is not as fancy but is in a nice location if you can get a bayfront room, plus I've read reports that the experience there has improved since it underwent a remodel. Parking is on site, and good rates can be had on Priceline and/or Hotwire.

Several run-of-the-mill motels/hotels, primarily along University Avenue, have on-site parking. Of these, the Holiday Inn Express is the newest and "nicest" while the Rodeway Inn gets the best ratings by guests. I live close to both of these properties and find that stretch of University Avenue a bit drab, but the area is okay and it's actually nice once you get a block to the north.

Considering all this, my first choice would be the Hotel Shattuck Plaza *unless* I wanted to stay out of the hustle and bustle, in which case I would choose the Doubletree first and the Claremont second.

If structure parking near the Hotel Shattuck Plaza is an issue for you, consider parking two or so blocks west in the residential neighborhood. Overnight parking is permitted, but daytime parking is limited to two hours except for residents (enforced by permit).

Street parking in the area surrounding the Hotel Durant will be the most difficult, so expect to use the valet there unless you walk a few blocks south. Street parking near the Claremont is a couple blocks away, so I recommend using its on-site pay lot. Street parking for the Berkeley City Club is roughly as challenging as the Hotel Durant and Hotel Shattuck Plaza, as it is located halfway between the two.

Final note: For something completely different, try the French Hotel in the Gourmet Ghetto area (North Berkeley's business district). Although the hotel is somewhat basic, the neighborhood is very nice.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Shattuck Plaza or Claremont Resort if I need to park

Thanks so much for your detailed response. It was very helpful. I am leaning towards the Hotel Shattuck Plaza, despite the limited hours for accessing your car if you park in the adjacent lot.

I wrote Hotel Durant to ask about parking, and they responded quickly to let me know that valet parking costs $26.00 per night and self-parking costs $20.00 per night.

Edited: 9:11 am, January 27, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Shattuck Plaza or Claremont Resort if I need to park

Found this information on the Hotel Shattuck Plaza website.

Looks like the adjacent parking garage is open 6 am- midnight during the week, and 8 am-2 am on the weekends.

hotelshattuckplaza.com/services-amenities/in…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Shattuck Plaza or Claremont Resort if I need to park

Loved our 4 nights at the Shattuck Plaza- thanks for recommending it!

We only had to pay for parking during the day- we lucked out with street parking each night, right in front of the hotel.

Beautiful lobby. I enjoyed several breakfasts in their restaurant.

Very friendly, helpful service throughout our entire stay.

Extremely comfortable beds, clean, well appointed rooms, nice bathrooms, upscale environmental toiletries.

I had found a good rate on Expedia (which is how I booked the first night), and the hotel was willing to match the Expedia rate if I booked direct. I've asked other hotels in NYC to do this, and they've refused, so it's a nice to find a hotel who will match rates found online.

We used the hotel as a base to visit Oakland, and it worked out well. Less than a 20 minute drive (we weren't travelling during rush hour). We'll plan to use this place again on future visits to the East Bay. The price per night was actually less than what we've paid in the past at much, much less luxurious digs in Oakland and San Leandro.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Shattuck Plaza or Claremont Resort if I need to park

Thanks for reporting back! Glad to read that you had an excellent stay, that parking was easy, and that the price was competitive with if not better than other hotels in the area. I'm tempted to have relatives spend a night at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza next time they visit so I can check it out... :)

8. Re: Hotel Shattuck Plaza or Claremont Resort if I need to park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 16, 2010