We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Claremont Resort ...Haunted?????

usa
Level Contributor
240 posts
Save Topic
The Claremont Resort ...Haunted?????

My husband just checked into The Claremont while on business.

He knew absolutely nothing of the hotel until his driver said he was staying at a very nice place. He said it immediately felt very strange and thought it reminded him of the hotel in The Shining.

When he jokingly asked the front desk clerks as well as a maintenence man in the hall if there were hauntings they all smirked and said he must have read about the place.

Can't find anything online that talks about ghosts...just a bunch of semi bad reviews...anybody know anything???

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,221 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Claremont Resort ...Haunted?????

OH, come on! Your husband was being "put on".

This is a venerable hotel and spa. I don't know about "semi bad reviews" but I am sorry that your husband feels "vibes" there. Forget it.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,107 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Claremont Resort ...Haunted?????

I found this:

“Ghosts galore

"Ghost Hunter's Guide to the San Francisco Bay Area" (Pelican Publishing Company, $14.95) by Jeff Dwyer is an intriguing and handy reference for those fascinated by ghosts.

Dwyer lists more than 100 haunted sites in the Bay Area, complete with historical information, addresses and phone numbers. He talks about ghosts and ghost hunting and includes lists of psychic organizations and Web sites.

So the next time you're at the Claremont Resort in Berkeley, keep an eye out for the ghost of Mrs. Thornburg, attired in Victorian garb and wandering the verandas and gardens. Dwyer says she lived in the English-style castle that occupied the hotel site until 1901 and approves of the luxury hotel she now haunts. “

That’s a quote from the following article.

findarticles.com/p/…ai_n15803612

The following is a the website of the man who wrote the book:

http://jeffdwyer.com/about_us

The hotel employees must have run into some people of have "read about the place" in this book.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco Bay
San Francisco Bay
6,940 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Berkeley
Berkeley
California
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,328 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Claremont Resort ...Haunted?????

The HotelDelCoronado has a ghost too so it must be a"famous old hotel thing"

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,849 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Claremont Resort ...Haunted?????

Apparently, there may be multiple spirits residing at the Claremont! The Daily Californian had an article saying, in part: "The spirit of a dead guest is also rumored to still haunt the Claremont hotel, built in 1915. The building, which was originally constructed as a home, was converted into a hotel after it was almost destroyed in a fire. It is supposedly haunted by the spirit of a young girl who died in the hotel when she was 6 years old. Past guests of Room 422--the room the girl reportedly has made her home--claim to have gone into the shower with the television off, and returned from the bathroom to find the television running, according to Claremont bellman Earl Van Dyke. "It's not a bad spirit, not a fearful spirit," he says. "I feel it's something gentle." Although the girl's favorite haunt is room 422, her presence can be felt throughout the fourth floor."

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Claremont Resort ...Haunted?????

Well seen no ghosts there since I quit drinking! LOL

usa
Level Contributor
240 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The Claremont Resort ...Haunted?????

Sorry to report no sightings of Mrs. Thornburg or the little girl. However, they should advertise the hauntings like the Del and they could charge more. Hubby paid 260.00 for a nice room with a view while we paid 350.00 five years ago for a dump room with no a/c and stared at the parking lot at the Del Coronado!

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The Claremont Resort ...Haunted?????

I work at the Claremont and was told recently there is a ghost on the fourth floor. It's a little girl , totally harmless. People have reported hearing her call out "mommy" from timt to time.

sf
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: The Claremont Resort ...Haunted?????

I used to work there while in school and can tell you it is haunted. I had only a few minor experiences, but enough for proof.

cqt
Southern California
Level Contributor
277 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Claremont Resort ...Haunted?????

For about 8 months in the 90s, I used to stay here weekly for work.

When a fellow colleague checked in on Halloween week, she jokingly asked if they were going to put her into a haunted room but she was only kidding because she didn't know that the hotel was haunted. On Halloween evening when she came back to hotel after work, she got a voicemail on her phone from the local radio station asking the guest from the haunted room to call them back about his/her experience in the room. She immediately went downstairs to the front desk to ask about the room.

They told her that it was rumored to be haunted but by an older woman who was trapped in the room during a fire. Guests have complained about having issues opening the door to leave the room. Maids have also complained about the set of dresser drawers being opened while they were cleaning the bathroom. From what I recall, my colleague mentioned that it was a tower room with a huge dresser/shelf system in the middle of the room. She didn't experience anything, but asked not to be put in that room after that.

During my stay, I loved the service and food but would get scared most nights because I'm easily spooked. The place is pretty old so it creaks all the time which sounds really loud when it's quite in the middle of the night. I never saw anything. I just felt scared all the time, but it could be me, not the hotel. After what my colleague told me, I was even more spooked!

There is a newer part of the hotel which is super nice. It is in the lower level (below the ground floor) and through a fire door. The rooms are amazingly nice and HUGE - very luxe. But getting to the room was pretty spooky for me.

It's definitely the nicest hotel in Oakland, but I am so glad I don't have to stay there any more.

Mentioned in this post
Oakland
Oakland
California
usa
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The Claremont Resort ...Haunted?????

OH MY GOODNESS!!! My husband suggested we return to the Claremont while visitng Berkeley with our college bound daughter. Upon check in the clerk said he would like to upgrade us to a bigger room and not charge us the resort fee. After handing us the keys, I teased him saying,"what did you do..give us room 422 because no one wants to sleep there?" He laughed as I looked at our room number...422!!!!

Sorry to saw it was a great night's sleep...although i couldn't turn off our tv. Perhaps the ghost liked the movie we were watching!!

Mentioned in this post
Berkeley
Berkeley
California