We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indian food in Berkeley?

Chapel Hill, NC
Level Contributor
276 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Indian food in Berkeley?

Has anyone been to Chaat's corner? Is it really as good as it sounds - and is it really only open until 6PM?

Any other suggestions for Indian or Japanese food in Berkeley? O Chame looked a bit scary.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
O Chame
O Chame
28 Reviews
Berkeley, CA
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,978 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indian food in Berkeley?

You mean, like, COWS in BERKELEY?

I am sure you think I am mad, but there is a local radio ad for a dairy which uses this line, and I just couldn't resist.

Chapel Hill, NC
Level Contributor
276 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indian food in Berkeley?

Hmm.

Can't say that I get it.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,978 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Indian food in Berkeley?

That's OK. It's a dairy ad, for a dairy called "Berkeley Farms"

It ends with this..."COWS in Berkeley?" Of course there are no dairy farms in Berkeley, so it is an ad to call attention to itself.

I could not resist because you titled your post...."Indian Food in Berkeley"?

Sorry about that. I guess you have to be a local to get the point.

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
611 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Indian food in Berkeley?

Berkeley has a lot of Indian restaurants, but probably the most interesting is Ajanta's on Solano Ave. Much of the menu changes monthly with regional dishes of India. www.ajantarestaurant.com/

Reservations are a good idea, especially on weekends.

Chaat's corner is open only for lunch and snacks because its--a chaat house. Its just a big open space in part of a warehouse, originally for the Indian guys who worked in the area. Not much atmosphere but good food.

Hayward
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Indian food in Berkeley?

You mean Vic's Chaat Corner, It is great, Expect long lines on the weekends, and yes it is only open until 6pm. The chaats are wonderful. Also Bombay Cusine is not so bad, there "Thali's" are wonders for the prices they charge.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
163 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Indian food in Berkeley?

Vik's Chaat Corner is divine. It's a hole in the wall at 4th and Allston and gets pretty crowded, but serves really delicious casual food. Their masala dosas are especially good. And after you're done eating, you can shop next door at their small grocery store.

Mentioned in this post
Vik's Chaat Corner
Vik's Chaat Corner
201 Reviews
Berkeley, CA
Florida
Level Contributor
701 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Indian food in Berkeley?

Granted lunch was only $6, but they only give a little dab of each item, and it was quite greasy.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
14 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Indian food in Berkeley?

I agree with Talb that Ajanta on Solano Ave. is excellent. Nice atmosphere, fair price, & gentle service. The full meal comes with rice, spinach, and three types of chutney/pickles. It's our place to go for anniversaries, celebrations, and birthdays. After going there just a couple of times, the workers treat us like regulars.

One benefit of Ajanta is that Solano Ave. is a great place to walk off your meal. Peet's Coffee is a Bay Area institution and it's across the street and down a bit. Just stop when you can smell the coffee. The Cactus Taqueria's crispy tacos are outstanding (remember to squeeze the lime in the tacos) as is their green salsa. They're almost directly across the street from Ajanta. Pegasus Books is also on the the block across the street; they don't mind if you read their wide selection of magazines.

If you're lucky enough to visit around Labor Day, the Solano Ave. Stroll closes down the entire mile-long street to traffic and it's one of the best free street fairs in the area.

O Chame isn't scary. It's just kind of expensive. Fourth Street, where O Chame is located, is very upscale and a safe place to walk around during the day. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Peet's Coffee
Peet's Coffee
4 Reviews
Berkeley, CA
Pegasus Books
Pegasus Books
3 Reviews
Berkeley, CA
O Chame
O Chame
28 Reviews
Berkeley, CA
Fourth Street
Fourth Street
309 Reviews
Berkeley, CA
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,341 posts
6,139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Indian food in Berkeley?

Its not directly in Berkeley - but in Alameda - which is close by.

For Japanese sushi house and a nice view of San Francisco

go to Sushi House

http://www.e-sushihouse.com/

Its usually busy - good - and reasonably priced. Fun place to go.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Sushi House
Sushi House
1 Review
Berkeley, CA
California
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Indian food in Berkeley?

Vic's Chaat corner offers Indian street food. You get the "street atmosphere", i.e. buy it, get it and eat it, that's it. This joint is packed from open to close. When I started going there ten years ago, it started with a cooking stove at the bottom of an Indian grocery store. Then it was expanded to the warehouse next door. The good flavor holds through all these years. The number of Indian patrons attest to its authenticity.

Ajanta is a sit down dinner place. Offers elegant and relax atmosphere, and prices accordingly. It is not in Berkeley, but on Solano Ave in Albany, the little town north of Berkeley.

Both places have good food.

Udupi palace is other good Indian eatery in Berkeley. But I think it is a chain.

Kirala restaurant in Berkeley has good Japanese food, pricy though.

Mentioned in this post
Udupi
Udupi
Udupi District, India
Kirala
Kirala
144 Reviews
Berkeley, CA