We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going on Interview in Bakersfield for Physician Job any help

NYDOCTOCA
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Going on Interview in Bakersfield for Physician Job any help

Hi I'm a NY Doc going on an interview to Bakersfied, Ca. Tons of questions. Is this a good place to live if you have money? What should I not miss looking at while I'm there?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

NYDOCTOCA
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
71. Re: Going on Interview in Bakersfield for Physician Job any help

Ok Hot. I'll take it over the snow that’s falling right now. Kids haven’t been able to play outside since Nov I think. Can't remember that far back. We'll have a pool and the whole house has 3 zones Central AC. I've read all the negatives -- Here's a recap --- Hot - Foggy - Nothing to do -- Smells like cows -- everyone has asthma. Did I miss anything?

Well there are more negatives here in Upstate NY. So we are renting with 6 month lease and we will see. I'm taking 4 weeks off and we will check out the area and get a feel. Try the restaurants and malls etc.. We have family in LA so I'm sure we will be there allot as well.

Thanks again everyone

Bakersfield, CA
Level Contributor
90 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: Going on Interview in Bakersfield for Physician Job any help

Update?

I have been following this thread and am curious. After four months, how do you like Bakersfield?

As a retired educator, I am wondering if you enrolled your kids into public or private schools. I'm biased, but I think that the public schools in Stockdale and Rosedale areas are as good or better than the local private schools.

Mentioned in this post
Bakersfield
Bakersfield
California
Hotel Rosedale
Hotel Rosedale
370 Reviews
Bakersfield, CA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
416 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: Going on Interview in Bakersfield for Physician Job any help

I just found this thread and am wondering how your family is adjusting to your new life in Bakersfield?

When I was a freshman in high school, we had a teacher come out here from NY and he had a hard time adjusting. Don't know what happened to him though he was teaching there til I graduated. This was way back in the late 60's!

Mentioned in this post
Bakersfield
Bakersfield
California
NYDOCTOCA
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
74. Re: Going on Interview in Bakersfield for Physician Job any help

Sorry for the delay in response. Its been quite a while. Well did we have an adventure. My family hated Bakersfield and I knew I had made a huge mistake moving out there. Within 1 month we made the decision it wasn't the place for us. There were many things we just could not take. The people were rude (yes not everyone), we couldn't use our credit cards without showing ID (never had to do that in NY). The job although it paid more was not as expected --eqipment was poor the facilities really bad as well.

We felt like we moved to a different planet. We missed our friends our position in our community and yes even the weather. Wow was it hot in Bakersfield.

These are the mistakes we made. We went on our interview in December. I should have worked on a trial for a few months while my family stayed on NY.

All in all I lost about 100K in this very bad decision but I am getting a huge tax refund. I guess this is what life is about you make mistakes and learn from them. I'm just greatfull I'm young and have a great profession so that I can recover rather quickly. Bakersfield was definatly not the place for us. We hated it.

Mentioned in this post
Bakersfield
Bakersfield
California
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: Going on Interview in Bakersfield for Physician Job any help

Well, you can't say you didn't give it an honest try, after all, where better to find our than 1) going to TripAdvisor and 2) going to live there.

Sorry it didn't work out. So where do you go now?

BTW, where in upstate NY were you? I was in part of that area last summer (Niagara Falls, Rochester, Palmyra) and the only two things it must have had in common with New York City was "New" and "York." The weather was even comfortable where I stayed most of the time by the Erie Canal, a little warmer than San Francisco and similar humidity.

Mentioned in this post
NYDOCTOCA
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
76. Re: Going on Interview in Bakersfield for Physician Job any help

My advise to anyone would be to go and vist the area where you are considering moving preferably more than once and and at different times of the year. Also, try working for a few months before you comit moving the family out and selling your house.

I moved back to Pittsford, NY a subburb of Rochester NY. (about a Million People) 5 hour drive from NYC. We are resettled back and I have restarted by old job -- they were super glad to have me back even though some of my collegues make fun of me. I just tell them I went on vacation with all my furniture.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: Going on Interview in Bakersfield for Physician Job any help

Good advice from Doc for anyone, whether we're relocating for a career or for retirement. I always marvel at stories of people who live all their lives in cold, blustery Maine, then turn 65, uproot everything, and move to Florida because they "heard" about the warm weather, beautiful beaches, lots of retirees, etc. And they didn't know a soul, had lost the support networks back home from family, friends, community activities, churches, social groups, their personal dentist of the last 30 years, even their favorite hairdresser or bartender. And they were mizzerable :(

I didn't spend a lot of time in Pittsford, but I did see it. There were some very nice places in your neighborhood. I wish I'd visited a Wegman's store, which my B&B hosts said was unique in all the world. And I would have liked to sample more of life on the canal. Anyway, maybe I'll get back there sometime.

I'm glad it worked out & you got your job back & everyone is happy again.

78. Re: Going on Interview in Bakersfield for Physician Job any help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, September 26, 2009