We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel to Pismo Beach

Which Bakersfield hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Firestone, Colorado
1 post
travel to Pismo Beach

Staying in Oildale for business. Want to drive to Pismo Beach on the weekend and see a few different routes (via 46 through Paso Robles, 166 to Santa Maria, or 58 which seems a bit longer). Which route would you recommend and why? First time to CA, so would like the drive to be scenic...not necessarily looking for shortest route. Thx!

4 replies to this topic
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
18,386 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: travel to Pismo Beach

166 puts you closest to Pismo Beach once you reach Highway 101. It's also more scenic once you get past Maricopa and into the Cuyama Valley.

46 has lots of truck traffic and can be frustrating if you get stuck behind one. Not a lot of pass points.

58 is really winding and not heavily traveled.

+++++++++++++++++++++

I live in the Pismo area and 166 is the route I use when traveling to and from Bakersfield.

Bakersfield, CA
Level Contributor
137 posts
72 reviews
2. Re: travel to Pismo Beach

We always go 46 because of the wineries :) If you're interested in any wine tasting along the way you should go this route. Tobin James is a particular favorite of ours. 46 will also take you by the James Dean Memorial, set up near where he crashed. If that's of interest.

There's a stretch of about an hour between I5 and Paso Robles that used to be 1 lane each direction but they've been working on widening it. It's a much more pleasant drive now, barring any construction zones.

I tried the 58 route once upon a time and remember it was really winding so slower driving. Haven't been the 166 route in years but that works too, minus the wine.

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: travel to Pismo Beach

If you're looking for the most scenic and time doesn't matter, I would go for 58. 58 is the least traveled and most winding of the three.

Grover Beach...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
4. Re: travel to Pismo Beach

I've been on 58 twice now and if you are like me and get motion sickness easily you might want to pick an alternate route, this is a very twisting winding road. The views are of the huge solar farms which is very cool, allot of oil drilling going on, some flowers in bloom and the other night we came across a Taranchula crossing the road so it is scenic!.

Reply to: travel to Pismo Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted