We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Bakersfield, CA from Texas

Which Bakersfield hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Midland, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Bakersfield, CA from Texas

Driving in March to Bakersfield. Husband is going for business and I'm going for fun. But there isn't anything "fun" in Bakersfield. Any tips for traveling within a couple of hours nearby? Or cool pubs, best beach nearby, shopping, go to Burbank, or drive to Vegas?!

10 replies to this topic
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,854 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Bakersfield, CA from Texas

Ha... I appreciate the humor of your post. Yes, Bakesfieldians spend a lot of time on the road outside of Bakersfield. There is good shopping in Bakersfield though. They built the 58 to make easier for the Central Valley folk to get to Vegas - but it's 4 hours one way.

Do you like nature? I'd go to Lone Pine and see Mt Whitney from below, maybe walk from Whitney Portal up the mountain a little way just to say I'd done and it and drive through the Alabama Hills, If I had time, I'd go see the Bristlecone Pine trees (oldest living trees). It's a scenic drive and very pretty.

Burbank is closer (only 1.5 hours) if you wanted to tour NBC. Don't know when you're going or chances of getting TV tickets, etc (no more Tonight Show tickets but the tour is interesting anyway).

If you like theme parks, Magic Mountain should be open during the daytime hours, check their website if you like roller coasters.

You're 2.5 hours or so from the General Sherman tree in Sequoia.

2 hours from the wine tasting town of Paso Robles.

2.5 hours or a little less from the charming seaside town of Cambria.

And my personal favorite: the Carrizo Plain National Monument. Some might say there's nothing there, but it's a National Monument because it's one of the few places you can picnic with your feet on one side of the of the San Andreas Fault and the rest of you on the other. It's got lots of great geology.

Of course, Santa Barbara is about 2.5 hours away too...lots to do there if you want to drive.

Bakersfield is known for country music at night, It has several museum (see Attractions under Bakersfield here on TA). If you like to read and poke around among journals and books, CSUBakersfield is a nice stopping spot. Yelp is your go-to place for reviews of pubs nearby any of these attractions.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,249 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Bakersfield, CA from Texas

Oh c'mon, there must be fun things to do in Bakersfield. Can't think of any at the moment, but there must be...

Drive to LA would be my suggestion.

Corona del Mar, CA
Level Contributor
49,653 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Bakersfield, CA from Texas

I am in Bakersfield as we speak (state wrestling tournament) and Bakersfield actually has some charming museums, the famous Crystal Palace of Buck Owens and some nice restaurants.

The nearest beach is probably Ventura, but that is two hours away and the water isn't warm and no guarantee that the weather will be be beach weather.

When in Bakersfield I'd try some Basque food. The three to look at are Wool Growers, Pyrenees Cafe and Benji's French Basque Restaurant.

smithsonianmag.com/travel/…

For pubs, check out Lengthwise Brewing and Eureka! Bakersfield.

http://lengthwise.com/

http://eurekarestaurantgroup.com/

Lots of great Mexican food in Bakersfield as well.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
18,911 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Bakersfield, CA from Texas

I feel your pain. As a former Bakersfieldian, I can tell you that Bakersfield is a good place to be from, lol!!

However, it does have some really great local cuisine. Basque food is quite popular. Woolgrowers's in old downtown Bako or Benji's in the Rosedale area are 2 good Basque restaurants to try. There is an abundance of Mexican food eateries. My favorite is Mexicali on 18th St, but there are a number of other great Mexican dining options.

Do try and visit Dewar's Ice Cream and Candy shop. They make a wonderful taffy type candy filled with peanut butter or other ingredients you might enjoy. A good old fashioned banana split or sundae at their counter is a good top off after lunch, as well.

Smith's Bakery has lots of delectable treats from donuts to danish to their popular smiley face cookies.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now, as a former Bakersfieldian, hubby and I would make lots of trips over to the coast before we made it our home. Lots of options here.

There's Pismo Beach with its wide stretch of sand for a long walk, the funky downtown area near the pier with your typical beachy shops: T-shirts, posters, candy, etc. Splash Cafe (famous for clam chowder), Ventana Grill, Mo's BBQ, Old West Cinnamon Rolls, Guiseppe's Italian

Avila Beach... Our suuniest/warmest beach in the area with a pedestrian friendly promenade between the shops/eateries and pier, a nice beach to lay out on and a pretty drive through a wooded valley to get there. Avila is just minutes away from Pismo Beach, too.

San Luis Obispo. 15 miles north of Pismo Beach, SLO is a college town with great shopping downtown. There's a creek that runs through the middle of town and some of the restaurants or sandwich shops have patios that back up to the creek and sometimes offer live music on them.

Morro Bay is a quaint fishing village approx. 15 miles northwest of San Luis Obispo. It's famous for the large "Rock" that sits at the harbor's entance. There's a great little embarcadero area with shops and cozy places to eat or grab a cup of coffee. You can even take a glass bottom boat ride, a whale watch tour or rent a kayak and paddle around the marina and estuary, which is a bird sanctuary.

Cayucus is a another great little beach town just north of Morro Bay with a wide stretch of sandy beach for walking or looking back toward Morro Bay and the "Rock".

Continuing northward, you come upon the little town of Harmony with its glass art shop where you can watch them blowing glass creations and then comes Cambria.... a quaint, romantic town nestled in pine trees by the sea. Cambria has lots of really cute shops, cozy places to eat, a wooden path that meanders along Moonstone Beach and Hearst Castle just a few miles up the road.

Traveling east from Cambria via Highway 46 is the Paso Robles wine region. Many of the wineries are nestled into rolling oak studded hillsides. Probably not a good idea to do wine tasting if heading back to Bakersfield, but it's still pretty country to drive through.

Santa Barbara is about an hour and 20 minutes south of Pismo Beach, but only an hour or so from where Highway 166 meets Highway 101. The drive down to SB is mostly inland through farm and ranch land. There is wine country in Los Olivos and Santa Ynez area. Solvang, a Danish influenced community, is also in that area. Solvang is still a popular tourist destination, but I think it's seen better days.

Santa Barbara is referred to as the California Riveira. Lots of Mediterranean architecture, palm trees and great shopping on State Street add to SB's charm. Stearns Wharf, the historical mission and the Santa Barbara Courthouse and gardens are popular places to visit.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
16,621 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Bakersfield, CA from Texas

You can go up to the Kern River which is a nice drive up the canyon. The drowning statistic tote board at the head of the canyon can be sobering.

Pismo Beach is a favorite getaway for valley residents. Just cut across 166 thru Cuyama and New Cuyama. There is a nice walk thru the dunes near Oso Flaco Lake.

dunescenter.org/visit-the-dunes/…

Midland, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Bakersfield, CA from Texas

Wow! Thank you so much! Your reply really helps!

Midland, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Bakersfield, CA from Texas

Haha! Thank you!

Midland, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Bakersfield, CA from Texas

Thank you! I appreciate your help!

Midland, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Bakersfield, CA from Texas

Wow!!!! Your post is awesome! Thank you so much for taking the time to write all of that! I am very excited now! Time to plan my itinerary!

Midland, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Bakersfield, CA from Texas

Thank you!!

Reply to: Trip to Bakersfield, CA from Texas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted