We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nicest Hotel in Bakersfield

Which Bakersfield hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dmd
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
229 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Nicest Hotel in Bakersfield

Looking for the most upscale hotel in Bakersfield--that's not right next to the freeway.

Thanks!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,435 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nicest Hotel in Bakersfield

The Wyndham Garden is currently the most upscale hotel in Bakersfield. However, it is next to the freeway. You're just not going to find hotels in Bakersfield off the beaten path that are upscale, since most off the beaten path hotels are in rundown areas of town.

You could try the Holiday Inn on Truxton, but, again, it's not what I would call upscale or in the best part of town. And the Rabobank Arena is right next door. So you trade one kind of noise for another.

The Red Lion along Hwy 58 used to be the upscale place in Bakersfield 25 years ago, but I have no idea how this hotel measures up these days, as I've been living elsewhere the last 20 years.

Eugene,Or
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nicest Hotel in Bakersfield

I think the Hampton Inn near Meadows Field Airport is absolutely the best. Very clean, very modern. Nice big screen tv. Not close to very many rest. but you will appreciate this place. 114.00 for a nice room.

Bakersfield, CA
Level Contributor
90 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nicest Hotel in Bakersfield

The most upscale hotel away from the freeway is the Sheraton on California Avenue.

The problem with the Hampton Inn is that it is adjacent to the 99 freeway, the Porterville Highway, and Seventh Standard Road/Merle Haggard Drive (route for northern beltway). And, of course, the airport is nearby.

Name changes:

The Holiday Inn Express - connected to the Rabobank Area, Theater, and Convention Center is now a Marriott.

The old Red Lion is now the Doubletree.

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nicest Hotel in Bakersfield

Unfortunately, most of our nicer hotels are along the freeway. I can't really say I'd consider any of them "upscale", though.

One option may be Homewood Suites by Hilton. I've never been there so I can't personally vouch for it, but it's located in one of our nicer areas in the SW and is far from any freeway. The property looks well maintained.

California
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nicest Hotel in Bakersfield

This may be too late for the OP, but may help others looking for the same information.

IMHO the Sheraton and the Homewood Suites are the most upscale - but neither are near the freeway. However, they are both on major arteries, so easily accessed. And both are near several restaurants. Homewood Suites is adjacent to an upscale shopping center with boutique (chain) stores, theaters, restaurants and a Vons grocery market. However, the Sheraton also has a Vons nearby, as well as several chain and local restaurants.

6. Re: Nicest Hotel in Bakersfield

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, February 20, 2010