We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf with a Junior in Punta Cana?

Salt Lake City, Utah
10 posts
Save Topic
Golf with a Junior in Punta Cana?

Hi everyone.

We're heading to Uvero Alto over Christmas for our first trip to the DR and staying in a private condo just North of town. It will be myself, my wife, son and daughter ages 17 and 16.

My daughter and I have heard great things about golfing in Punta Cana. She's on the high school golf team, but we are far from pros and I'm just a hack. Any suggestions on a couple of locations we can play that would be fun for us? I'd love to let her experience playing a seaside course, but it doesn't need to be anything too fancy. Ideally a low pressure environment just in case we play slower or shank a ball or two. Those two items may not go together, so maybe we can play two different courses on two different days.

We will have a rental car and should be able to get around as needed and we are bringing our own clubs. We don't have any other activities booked, so we could play early or late if there is a better time to play for less pressure or $$$.

Thanks in advance for the help.

6 replies to this topic
Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golf with a Junior in Punta Cana?

Iberostate , played it many times, scenic with a few challenges to keep it interesting. Hard Rock very tough and expensive. Cocotal, easy resort course, flat not much challenge but palm trees and occasional water hazard. Nothing like Utah. After 2pm is the best rate. But if the courses are busy you might not make 18 holes in at 2pm, so best to pay the premium to get in 18.

Have fun. Any other questions pm me.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
14,403 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golf with a Junior in Punta Cana?

You mentioned a seaside course and I really think that would be a treat for both of you. I would suggest La Cana. It is located in Punta cana, just south of the airport. It has 36 holes, with 2 of the 9 hole sections featuring oceanfront golf. Arrecife has 2 long hard holes to finish off along the ocean. There are special rates after 2pm. If you were just golfing one course (without spending a fortune for Espana or Corales), La Cana is what you are looking for.

Iberostate is my home course and I find it very good bang for the buck, although no oceanfront holes.

Cheers

PCMike

Salt Lake City, Utah
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Golf with a Junior in Punta Cana?

Awesome. Just what I was looking for. Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golf with a Junior in Punta Cana?

your welcome, enjoy Punta Cana golf.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golf with a Junior in Punta Cana?

Hi I'm on holiday in Punta Cana in April staying at Iberostar and hope to sneak away and leave the wife sun bathing a couple of times to have a round. Hopefully ill get teamed up with someone. I'm off 18 at home so don't really wanna play with scratch golfers, just a leisurely round or two would be nice.

Not sure whether its worth taking clubs or hire some.

Any idea what costs of golf is on various courses including club and buggy hire.

thanks

Edited: 8:29 am, December 18, 2017
Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Golf with a Junior in Punta Cana?

Club rental is US $40-50. If you are golfing at least 2 times its worth bringing your own clubs. I see you are staying at the Iberostar resort, they have a nice course to play, and yes they will pair you up with someone or go of on your own and enjoy the scenery.

Reply to: Golf with a Junior in Punta Cana?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Uvero Alto