We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just south of the VIM

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Wyoming
Level Contributor
926 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Just south of the VIM

I was looking at Google Maps and see 4 very large triangular shaped structures on the southern edge of the VIM. Anyone know what they are?

Thanks

k

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just south of the VIM

Was it the Grand Mayan resort?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,921 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just south of the VIM

According to the Google map I'm looking at, it's the Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya.

I've a suspicion that at least one of them is the building(s?) that was abandoned at a pretty early stage of construction - i.e. just a skeletal structure of what appears to be concrete and rebar. This, unfortunately, can be seen from some parts (including rooms) of the VIM - but hey, it's on a neighbouring property, so there's not much that can be done to remove what is somewhat of an eyesore.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just south of the VIM

If it is to the south, it won't be a real eyesore (we've been there four times and never spied it. We normally use the quiet beach which is to the south of the main beach and it isn't visible from that beach. You might be able to see it in Building 8 but I don't think you can see it from any other buildings.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,921 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just south of the VIM

You can see it from the third floor balconies on building 4, if you're on that side of the building, of course.

The jungle is gradually taking it over and it's really not THAT bad - I just look the other way!

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just south of the VIM

Llisa, we stayed on the third floor of building 8 (south side) but toward the west side and we couldn't see anything but jungle.

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
854 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just south of the VIM

There is definitely some construction going on there now. You can hear it while walking behind the Goldens and along the paths on the south side of the resort. We also spotted what looked like scaffolding and lights one night, but it might have been normal exterior lighting???

7. Re: Just south of the VIM

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 05, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Playa del Secreto