We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Curious about the demographics

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Westminster...
Level Contributor
924 posts
49 reviews
Curious about the demographics

Our first trip to the Valentin will be in late Sept., early Oct. We've been to the Mayan Riviera several times and usually travel at the same time every year. We have found that English-speaking guests are in minority, with most guests being from Italy - and sometimes Spain, and Russia. Not that it matters at all, but we were just curious if that's the case at the Valentin.

k

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
20,998 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Curious about the demographics

IME (and I travel at the same time as you) it's mainly Americans (I'd guess around 80%); 15% Canadians and 5% "other" - mainly UK.

Westminster...
Level Contributor
924 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: Curious about the demographics

Thanks - I suppose it all depends on which tour operators and charter airlines are offering which resorts.

K

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,447 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Curious about the demographics

Agree with above- 80% american at VIM.

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,051 posts
19 reviews
4. Re: Curious about the demographics

Norte Americanos in the majority. Also a good mix of ages. When you get your dates nailed down let me know. We are going for our second trip Sept 20-27.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
31 reviews
5. Re: Curious about the demographics

We've been going mid December for the past 4 years. I would say it's about 45% Canadian, 45% Americans, and 10% others.

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,498 posts
163 reviews
6. Re: Curious about the demographics

I could not tell you the demographics between countries/nationalities, but I will say that I think SSS and Valentin had the best mix of ages....young 30s all the way through young 70s. A great mix of people and everyone was great every time we have been (2X SSS/1X VIM).

I have to say that I never notice where people are from or what they look like - just if they are cool/nice/rude/cutting the line/etc or not. It also helps if they join me for a shot - ha ha

Texas
Level Contributor
763 posts
19 reviews
7. Re: Curious about the demographics

Nicely put, Jeff. I love meeting people from all over. I've been lucky to meet really nice people on our previous trips and have even kept in touch with some of them. The friendliness of guests does help make for a better time. That's one reason we're going to VIM for the first time this July; the resort we've stayed at the last three years caters to a rude and snotty group. I just want fun, friendly, people who want everyone to have a good time!

Westminster...
Level Contributor
924 posts
49 reviews
8. Re: Curious about the demographics

I love meeting people from all over too. And I like visiting with people and having drinks with them. However, it's easier to do that if I can communicate with them in English (or even a little Spanish). That's why I asked the question. We've been to some resorts in the area, such as the Barcelo and Catalonia Royal Tulum, in the fall and it was difficult to find any other English speaking guests.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
469 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: Curious about the demographics

I just booked September 14 - 21 for my wife and I. First time to VIM...can't wait. Booked spur of the moment when I saw what I thought was great price.

Indiana
Level Contributor
333 posts
37 reviews
10. Re: Curious about the demographics

We just returned on Monday. The majority of people at the resort were from the US. The second largest majority would have been Canadians. Lots of people to socialize with at the VIM. The ages ranged from 20-retirement age. More 20 to 30 somethings this year, but still a lot of middle aged people. You will have a great time.

Get answers to your questions about Playa del Secreto