We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valentin Imperial Maya or Secret Silversands?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Renton, Washington
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Valentin Imperial Maya or Secret Silversands?

I'm working to book our vacation over Christmastime. We're aiming for 9 days - right now both VIM and SSS are nearly the same price.

I've been to Playa Del Carmen and stayed at the Royal, we've also stayed at Sandals Whitehouse (in Jamaica) and Dreams Puerto Vallarta. We prefer the adults-only scene (thus narrowing down to these two) - and these both fit our budget. We like to spend time both in the pool and the ocean. Enjoy good food and good drinks. We'll both be 30.

Any one have any insight into which may be a better choice? Thank you!

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya or Secret Silversands?

Been to the Royal as well, am 33 myself so I'd say we have some similarities :) I'd say VIM b/c if you are beach people the beach at SSS is not very good.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya or Secret Silversands?

Oh and we went to VIM in January and LOVED it. LOVED it even MORE than the Royal! :) We didn't think the Royal could be topped either :)

Texas
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya or Secret Silversands?

We've been to RPDC once for our HM in 2008 and VIM 3x, twice with friends. We're in our late 20's-early 30's and loved both of those resorts. We were a day away from booking SSS in January for a trip this August when their great offer ended so we ended up booking our 2nd trip back to RPDC instead of SSS. We were nervous about the SSS beach but excited about the smaller footprint, evening options & service. Even though we've never been to SSS we're still watching prices because it seems like a lovely resort if a perfect beach isn't a must.

We all love VIM for several reasons, the beach is amazing there is an area that has been crystal clear and on the calmer side every time we've been but the beach drink service could be better right there (can’t win them all). And their evening entertainment options are perfect for us. We love the live music & DJ at The Plaza every night despite it being slow sometimes but the bartenders still make it a fun night.

I doubt you could go wrong with either to be honest!

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya or Secret Silversands?

We've been to both VIM and SSS. Of the two, we prefer VIM, but both are excellent.

Here's the best features of each. SSS is smaller so there isn't as much walking. Food is excellent as is the service. I really liked the hot tub that overlooked the ocean. VIM is larger with gorgeous grounds. Food and service is also excellent. I liked the beds better at VIM and the beach is much nicer. Also there is more shade at VIM.

Weakness of each include: SSS the beach is small and there isn't a lot of real shade. They have smaller pools by each building. VIM doesn't have any real beachfront rooms (the beachfront rooms have a jungle between the buildings and the ocean). They also have limited wifi (by the pools and in the main check in building) although you can get the internet in your room but it requires a cable.

Renton, Washington
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya or Secret Silversands?

Thanks all for your replies. We booked VIM for Dec 20 - 29 and are very much looking forward to it!

6. Re: Valentin Imperial Maya or Secret Silversands?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, May 19, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Playa del Secreto