We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

room key or card @VIM?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Bridgewater...
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
room key or card @VIM?

Does the VIM use room keys or cards?

Cave Diving in Mexico
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Other Outdoor Activities, Scuba & Snorkeling, Water Sports
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,510 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: room key or card @VIM?

Cards

Bridgewater...
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: room key or card @VIM?

Thank you!

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
854 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: room key or card @VIM?

From what I could tell from someone's YouTube video of their room tour, they use a proximity-sensor-type lock, where you hold your keycard near the lock to unlock it. This makes the keycard a little thicker than normal magnetic stripe keycards, and also more expensive to replace if you lose it (and I thought I'd read reviews that said what people had been charged for lost keys).

Can anyone confirm that all room types use that kind of lock?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,510 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: room key or card @VIM?

"Can anyone confirm that all room types use that kind of lock?"

Yes, all the rooms have the same type of lock. As described, they're the proxiity type; you don't have to actually insert the card into a slot. I would stress that they are very close proximity though - you can't just wave the card around in the general vicinity of the door and have it open.

Inside the room, in addition to a locking knob that you can turn, there's a "deadbolt" sort of thing that you can use that prevents the door from opening even if someone manages to unlock it. I make it a practice to ALWAYS use these deadbolts when I'm inside ANY hotel room, anywhere in the world.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: room key or card @VIM?

Been there five times and every time had that kind of lock.

6. Re: room key or card @VIM?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 22, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Playa del Secreto