We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

questions about flights to coffee region

noh
st. petersburg...
Level Contributor
167 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
questions about flights to coffee region

Planning to travel from Bogota to Armenia or Pereira in March, on a weekday morning. Colombian friend advises a buseta, in part because he says flights unreliable. But I'm not keen on a seven hour bus ride, however beautiful the scenery.

What percentage of time would you say that flights from Bogota to coffee region will leave within 30 minutes of scheduled time?

How much time before the flight would you advise getting to airport?

Is day of flight information from airline good enough that you can check a few hours before flight and assess the likelihood of lit leaving ontime?

Are some airlines better or worse than others?

Any other advice?

Thanks

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
199 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: questions about flights to coffee region

Hi, I just took Avianca two days ago to Armenia, and the flight was on time. I advise you to go to the airport 3 hours before the time if you are going on a weekend, because the Puente Aero airport where Avianca has its domestic flights can get very busy and messy.

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: questions about flights to coffee region

You don't have a lot of choices to fly to the Coffee Region - Avianca, LAN or Satena. The bigger airlines are more likely to be on time but Eldorado has been notorious for flights delayed due to traffic or weather. For local flights you should follow the airlines guidelines - probably an hour is fine. The traffic in Bogota may be heavy. I would plan more on how much time do you need to get through traffic.

Avianca flies out of Puente Aero. They are going to have to pull up their socks. The new Eldorado is open and although it is not completely ready, Colombia can be proud that they now truly have an International Airport.

Bogota
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: questions about flights to coffee region

I would recomend you Avianca to Armenia flight. Avianca has much more options in case that there are weather or any others reason delay plus Armenia airport is better for weather conditions that Pereira.

Bus not recommended.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: questions about flights to coffee region

The people in our group coming by plane from Bogota to Armenia where delayed 3 hours in Bogota because of weather in Armenia, but had no problems returning to Bogota. Even if the flights are delayed, they will still be delayed for a much shorter period of time than the 7 hour road trip (without counting traffic) so take a flight if you can. Besides, some family friends drove from Bogota to Armenia and it took them 12 hours because of awful traffic!

Toronto
Level Contributor
48 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: questions about flights to coffee region

We flew yesterday from Bogota to Armenia with Avianca. I booked about a month ahead of time. Flight was on a Fokker prop plane and very smooth one hour flight. The flight left from the avianca terminal which is near to the El dorado airport. We got to the airport 2 hours before our 1.15 pm flight and for us it was fine.

Sydney
Level Contributor
39 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: questions about flights to coffee region

I think only Avianca flies Bogota to Armenia. I would say they are generally on time. In my experience there is more chance of a delay in the afternoon. Not sure who flies to Pereira. Avianca do, but maybe others.

7. Re: questions about flights to coffee region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 18, 2015