We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chachapoyas?

Which Cajamarca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maryville, TN
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Chachapoyas?

Has anyone out there been to Chachapoyas? I was thinking about going in March. Any suggestions on making arrangements before I go?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
108 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chachapoyas?

I went at the end of September and was fine without having made any arrangement in advance.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chachapoyas?

Really what you want to visit is Kuelap, not Chachapoyas itself.

You will b going during the rainy season and the roads will be in bad shape and maybe even inaccessible.

new york
Level Contributor
725 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Chachapoyas?

what are the roads like in late November?

Thank you

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
41 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chachapoyas?

Kuelap is, in fact, the most spectacular destination in the area of Chachapoyas. You can take a night bus from Chiclayo in to Chachapoyas, then hook up with an agency there to get to Kuelap. Or, since I don't like to ride on Peruvian busses, especially at night, you can arrange for a car and driver at very reasonable cost to meet you in Chiclayo, take you to Chachapoyas, then on to Kuelap and other area sites worth seeing. The ultimate trip to Kuelap, at least for me, was driving the route from Cajamarca to Leymebamba, then on to Kuelap, through to Chachapoyas, then down to Chiclayo for a flight back to Lima. But as Xochitl says, almost all roads involved to get to Kuelap are very, very iffy in the rainy season. They turn completely into big, slushy mud puddles. And when the mud puddles are roads carved on the sides of Andes-sized mountains, with nothing but air to stop you for about 4,000 feet if one were to be unlucky enough to slide off the road, I'd definitely consider going before or after the rainy season. I went last May, and the roads were generally okay, but contained several tricky moments. This is another reason I prefer a good car, with an excellent driver, as opposed to a bus that fills the road completely. In any event, Kuelap is worth the trouble of getting there. Be safe.

Seattle
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chachapoyas?

The road from Chiclayo to Chachapoyas is paved, which means you won't have to worry about the rainy season. I'm here right now and the weather's been a bit iffy, but on the clear days it's an amazing place.

We went to Kuelap with Turismo Explorer, and they were fantastic. Jose is the head of the guide's association and knows a ton about the area, so be sure to ask for him. He speaks great English, as well.

If you have the time I would recommend staying for a week or so and seeing the other sights in the area. Definitely don't miss Gocta, the 3rd highest waterfall in the world.

I'll be posting about our time in Chachapoyas as soon as I can get things written, but here's a link to the drive from Cajamarca through Leymebamba--if the weather is good I'd highly recommend it.

…wordpress.com/2009/…

Have fun! Jessie

Olmito, Texas
Level Contributor
136 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chachapoyas?

I was in chachapoyas in July for about 4 days. I did not make any arrangements prior to getting there. Basically I did about 2 weeks in northern Peru. From Lima I went to Trujillo (bus), then to Chiclayo to chachapoyas (bus) and then on to yurimaguas to Iquitos (by boat) before taking a flight back to Lima to head south. The reason I mention this is because again no prior arrangements before getting to any of these locations.

As for Chachapoyas I took the bus from Chiclayo to Chachapoyas(12hours by bus at night) it left at about 6 PM. I arrived at chachapoyas at about 6AM. When I got to chachapoyas several taxis are there waiting for passengers. and you can tell the driver to take you to a hotel that meets your budget.

I stayed in Hotel Revash. It’s clean safe and cheap ($10 - $25) depending on the room and its located on the main plaza. They have tours going to kuelap, gocta, burials, and other sites. The tours were also cheap about $15 for the entire day.for each tour. They were well organized and were very friendly. While Chachapoyas is a small town compared to Lima, Trujillo and Iquitos It does have several Hotels, restaurants, banks, grocery (markets) stores to choose from.

I only recommend Revash because I stayed there and it was convenient.

Maryville, TN
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chachapoyas?

Thanks for your time and insight with your reply. Did you happen to keep the name and/or contact information of the good driver that you had?

Maryville, TN
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chachapoyas?

Jessie,

Your blog is awesome. I have actually changed my plan to visit in September, and from everyone's posts, it sounds like the weather might be more forgiving for travel.

I am a huge futbol fan, and I saw on your blog that there were matches in September and October when I plan to be there. Looks like a fun atmosphere.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chachapoyas?

Saptember lots better

www.kuelap.org

good info might also pick up nearby

Gocta Falls...

Simply amazing.

Australia
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Chachapoyas?

I was in Chacapoyas a week ago, middle of rainy season too, and I didn{t have any problems on the bus from Chiclayo to Chacapoyas.

At Chacapoyas, I stayed at Hotel Revash, right on the plaza which had great rooms upstairs and my balcony overlooking the plaza.

They also organised my tour to kuelap with an english speaking guide, and I highly recommend their services...they were just really helpful and also passionate about the city they live in.

Chachapoyas has so many little day trips and day hikes to surrounding lookouts that you may find yourself spending more time there than intended. Its a pretty town and Kuelap was certainly worth it.