We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Algonquin park - first visit and need help!

England
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Algonquin park - first visit and need help!

Hi, My partner and I will be going to Algonquin Sept 4th - 11th to canoe and camp.

3 questions - what do you think the weather is likely to be?

Can anyone recommend a cheap car rental company? Basically we only need it to get to the outfitters, then to park, leave it there for 7 days, niagra for a day and then returning back to Toronto

Food (the important bit) the outfitters seem to be pretty expensive (£140 each for 7 days), just wondered if anyone had any other ideas about where to get the food from either in Huntsville or Toronto?

I hope you can help!

Thanks

Claire

Almaguin Highlands...
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Algonquin park - first visit and need help!

Glad to hear you had a great first trip in Algonquin Park!

Re cheaper option to renting a car... there's an outfitter in the town of Kearney who will (or at least used to) drive campers and their gear into the park. They charge a delivery fee, but it's a lot less than paying for a rental car to sit in parking lot for a week.

You would have to get yourself to Kearney or the vicinity first. The Northland Bus is your best bet for transit from Toronto along the hwy 11 corridor to north of Huntsville.

Another great reason to go this way is to avoid the hwy 60 corridor of the park. The Kearney access points are less busy and the routes are gorgeous.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Algonquin park - first visit and need help!

TO JOYOJAC,

Welcome to the ALGONQUIN PARK TRAVEL FORUM.

And I see that you are brand NEW to the TA FORUMS… so a BIG Welcome Aboard as well !!

Please be aware when replying to any topic, that you note the date that the Traveller wrote the topic and any dates that he has indicated within his topic.

In this particular the case, FIRST TIME CANOER created this topic back in June 2010, and the Traveller`s intent was to visit Algonquin from September 4th to 11th, 2010… so he has long come and gone.

So although you`ve no doubt provided solid info here… it is lost on this particular situation.

Something to make note of for future replies.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Almaguin Highlands...
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Algonquin park - first visit and need help!

Hi Wine-4-2, thanks for the welcome!

I'm not sure why my reply showed the original post. I was replying to a firstimecanoer's post from last month...

firsttimecanoer wrote:

"16. Re: Algonquin park - first visit and need help!

01 February 2011, 0:40

Hi,

Thanks for the additional posts.

We are obviously back from the trip, had a fantastic time and starting to think quite seriously about returning in the not so distant future. The weather was pretty wet and windy but it didnt spoil the trip at all. Algonquin is far better than i had ever imagined, the best holiday that i have had by far.

In the end we purchased the food from the outfitters which was pretty expensive but didint want the hassle of trying to find suitable food on our first trip, next time i think we will just add a day to the trip and go to a supermarket to get food supplies.

The main expense however was the car hire (thrifty) which was over 3 times as costly as quoted on the internet as they had not included insurance so we ended up paying around £75O for 10 days so if anyone has any other suggestions for a cheaper option i would be grateful to hear."

Is there a way to quote a previous post when making a reply? other than copy and paste? I'm still learning the ropes of the TA forum.

Thanks!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,601 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Algonquin park - first visit and need help!

"Is there a way to quote a previous post when making a reply? other than copy and paste?"

Hi joyojac;

No, there is no way to quote a previous post, other than to C&P. Most users place the quote in quotation marks, while others use >>arrows<< to make their point.

Two other points for a "newbie...

- Proper forum netiquette is not to change the topic of a thread, as it makes the replies to the original topic hard to follow. Also, the original poster may have opted to receive email notifications when replies are posted.

- the Support Forum is available for general questions and assistance using the TripAdvisor site.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i12105-TripAdvis…

Best Regards

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Algonquin park - first visit and need help!

TO JOYOJAC,

My apologies... I misunderstood... thought you were replying to the OP not the UPDATE / TripReport (lol... somehow I missed your opening line "Glad to hear you had a great first trip in Algonquin Park"). My mistake.

RE - Question in regards to which replies are to which posts...

Currently unfortunately there is no way "automated way" to do that.... which is why it is helpful when one puts in a salutation line, or some how refers to whom they are speaking to / about (helpful because TA's page set up would have one assume that those REPLY Buttons below the text in every reply... would "automatically address" to that author... but alas they don't).

In some situations this can get really crazy... especially with long topics that generate a lot of replies... more so if they also prompt more Questions by Other Travellers...

So because there is no "automated feature" here on TA... we encourage Travellers with NEW Questions to just start NEW Topics (your reply IS NOT an example of that particular situation).

Just that without an "automated feature".... it all can become quite confusing when a post generates a lot of NEW Questions from other Travellers... (often referred to as "tagging on" and replies get muddled between them and the OP).

Hope that helps explain it... again I am sorry for the mix-up in this particular situation.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... On another note... glad to see you... Hope you'll stick around the ONTARIO FORUMS... we have a real shortage of Local Advisors outside of our major cities... and these are the places that many Travellers wish they could have more one-on-one info about.

EDIT - See that RESCUE TEAM got here while I was typing... he is chocked full of info... and a valuable resource over on the TA SUPPORT FORUM.

Edited: 12:16 pm, March 07, 2011
26. Re: Algonquin park - first visit and need help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, October 07, 2012