We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accommodations?

Boston, Ma.
Level Contributor
153 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
accommodations?

Anyone have recommendations for lodging in Plockton besides the Plockton Hotel? The reviews sound good, but would consider other hotels/B&B's. Driving from Fort Williams for 1 night in Plockton before heading to Isle of Skye for a few days. Thanks for any advice.

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: accommodations?

Just had a look on the VisitScotland website and they list a 3 star B&B which looks nice called Hill View - close to all the amenities.

Telephone number +44 (1599) 544226

Try www.visitscotland.com as there are others there too.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,684 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: accommodations?

I think the B&B's in Plockton are very good value for money and I would personally recommend Hill View or An Caladh (that may not be spelled correctly)

If you prefer a hotel go for either The Plockton Inn or Plockton Hotel. Unfortunately the Haven has not ben so good recently.

You can find full details for all these on www.plockton.com.

You may find it just as good to base yourself in Plockton while exploring Skye.

Have a lovely trip.

Boston, Ma.
Level Contributor
153 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: accommodations?

Thanks so much for your suggestions. My daughter (25yrs) and I were going to then stay two more days on Skye thinking of basing ourselves in Portree for sightseeing and hiking on the island.

So here is my question which, I know, is very subjective but I would love to hear anyone's view point and opinion: From Fort Williams, is it better to just skip Plockton and head directly to Portree for 3 nights or is Plockton unique enough to warrant a stopover?

We will be heading on towards Inverness afterwards and then Pitlochry, Edinburgh and back to Glasgow. We are still trying to firm up our itinerary so we are totally flexible if you think we have missed something.

Appreciate all suggestions and enjoy learning about the area through TA.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,684 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: accommodations?

Definitely don't miss Plockton!

My opinion would actually be to ebase yourself in Plockton for the 3 nights and explore both Skye and the mainland. Apart from Skye consider - Eileen Donan Castle, Calumn's Seal Boat Trip from Plockton, Applecross, Duncraig, Five Sisters. A beautiful area!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: accommodations?

When are you going? Another briliant spot is Glenelg (turn left after Eilan Donan castle). There is (or was) a ferry there to Skye, but there's also a great Inn and a Broch. Otters in the water, and superb scenery.

If you tire of Skye, try the Applecross peninsula, across the water from Plockton. Another superb Inn, and road pass.

see www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,359 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: accommodations?

I agree with the others. Plockton is a bit special. Its near enough to Skye to base yourself there and drive across the bridge to explore Skye, plus you're well placed to head north to Wester Ross which is beautiful.

Boston, Ma.
Level Contributor
153 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: accommodations?

You have all convinced me about Plockton! We are coming to Scotland this June (20th to 28th) and can't wait...our 1st time! I enjoy the planning part and have found the TA forum invaluable!

Need a little more help... How many days would you suggest touring and hiking in Skye from ? I thought it would be alot of extra time driving back and forth from the bridge from Plochton. Could you help with timing of our itinerary? We had thought 3 days in Skye before heading to Inverness. Still willing to alter our initial itinerary. Also thought being in one location for a couple days easier and less tiring. Will wait to hear your advice. Thanks to all!

Boston, Ma.
Level Contributor
153 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: accommodations?

So now answering my own question {grin}. WE are staying in Plockton for 3 days and would like to know timing and ideas of day trips to Applecross peninsula. Also would you recommend driving down to Inverness from the Peninsula or back via the way we came and up the Loch Ness?

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,684 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: accommodations?

Gemini5, you're so right half the fun is the planning!

I am so glad you have decided to base yourself for the 3 nights in Plockton, you will not be disappointed! You won't be inconvenienced travelling from Plockton to Skye, I think it will be easier than packing up and moving all the time.

But recommendations on how you spend your time depend on what you guys are really "into" - I notice you mentioned hiking for example, and sadly of course you will never manage to do everything!

Possily though, you could do Applecross on your first day (allow a full day) I notice someone mentioned doing this with a ferry. Not sure how that works but maybe they will post again with more details because it sounds good.

Explore Skye on the second day including a good hike.

Then you could have a slightly gentler time around Plockton on the third day with less driving before you travel again to Inverness on your fourth day. Do take a trip on Calumn's Seal Boat for stunning scenery around the bay at Duncraig - and the sea!s of course! Then there are some super walks around Duncraig, up to the TV mast, to the Coral Beach , etc (see www.plockton.com for more walks and details) and pop over to Eileen Donan Castle stopping maybe at some of the craft shops and galleries you'll spot round and about!

If you would like to hear some traditional music there is a very good live session every Thursday night at the Plockton Inn and I am almost certain there will be a concert during the week of your trip by the students at the National centre of Excellence in Tradional Music up at the High School, where you will hear the very best of Scotland's young traditional musicians.

Both roads to Inverness from Plockton are stunning, but perhaps you would enjoy best the trip through the Five Sisters mountains down to Invermoriston and alongside Loch Ness. You could stop for a bite to eat at Drumnadrochit and if you want visit the Loch Ness Exhibition or Urquhart Castle.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,684 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: accommodations?

Jus had a look - iy was on the other post you've been looking at "Advice on Route" that Fifporter mentions going to Applecross via th Mallaig ferry which sails from Sleat at the south end of Skye. sounds like an adea, maybe she has more details or you can just drive straight from Plockton.

Get answers to your questions about Plockton