We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Jedboro

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
391 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip to Jedboro

Help. I have an odd request. I need to get from London to Jedboro and back in one day without driving a car. I cannot pull it together with what I can find here in Florida.

Is it possible, how?

11 replies to this topic
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,346 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to Jedboro

Can't be done - from London it's around 7 hours each way.

The only way I could imagine doing it would be to take the Caledonian Sleeper to & from Edinburgh then Munro's of Jedburgh number 51 bus from there.

From central Edinburgh that would 2h30m each way, a car would cut an hour off that but you'll then have the hassle of collecting and dropping off the car which would cost you most of our savings.

So what are you after in Jedburgh (NOTE SPELLING) that can't be obtained elsewhere?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to Jedboro

I think it can be done - just. The 0700 train out of Kings Cross arrives Berwick at 1038, and the bus to Galashiels leaves at 1110; change at St Boswell's (or get a cab for that last couple of miles) to arrive Jedburgh at 1305.

Return journey, same route starting 1715, arrives Berwick 1852, in good time for the last train back to London at 1914 (although that may be a Thursday/Friday only service - I haven't checked; in which case you would need to leave an hour or so earlier).

Flying to Edinburgh is another option although I doubt it would be any quicker than the above. It should be possible to gain a few more minutes in Jedburgh by taking the 0600 train (which I think does not stop at Berwick?) and changing to a local service at Newcastle or by taking a cab between Kelso or even Berwick and Jedburgh.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to Jedboro

A taxi should do it. Probably better if you negotiate a fare rather than let the meter run.

As Alanrow says - what's so vital in Jedburgh?

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to Jedboro

Could be water related, given recent events?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
490 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip to Jedboro

Jedboro?

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,426 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip to Jedboro

<<Jedboro?>>

Near Edinboro, I believe ;-)

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
821 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip to Jedboro

Apparently, the US Post Office many years ago decided that all towns that ended in -borough -burgh -burg and so on were untidy and too much for it to bother with so they decreed that they would all in future end in -boro. I think the only exception is Pittsburg.

So some US Americans might imagine that the whole world works the same way.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip to Jedboro

Warrensburg.......wherever that is!

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
391 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip to Jedboro

The USPS is fine, its me who is having difficulties (as usual).

Yup, I see I spelled it wrong. Please just blame it on the Booze. I had returned from a long road trip last night (from North central Canada to Florida 35 hours); had three beers and was too tipsy to remember how to spell anything. I do have a mission requirement that I needed to nail down though.

I can relate to dopey spellings as everyone refers to my island as "St. Petes Beach" whereas it is St. Pete Beach, and locals cringe at the sound of it being said incorrectly.

The reason for the day trip requirement is simply that my sainted Mother would like to visit the place which her Mother grew up (Ancrum Scotland). I had been three times previous and know very well that it is not more than a very short visit. It is her first trip over the pond. I did tell her that it would be difficult and do in only one day and that I was reluctant to invest two days in the visit.

I would rather not rent a car as I have a problem in GB always steering off the road into fields or driving straight across roundabouts. I just keep looking the wrong way and everyone keeps driving straight at me in my lane! Its hard enough for me to walk the streets of England without getting hit by a car. You'll know me when you see me as I'm the guy in Flip Flops cautiously running across the street like a frightened dog. Sadly, my English buddies have resorted to taking me by the hand to cross streets.

The information provided is extremely useful to me

Thanx very much to everyone who responded from Lundin, Jedboro and Edinboro and elsewhere. Cheers!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
490 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip to Jedboro

Excellent sense of humour FGS - glad you took it all in the spirit in which it was intended. BTW - St Pete's Beach makes me cringe too.

Harrisburg - capital city of the great state of Pennsylvania. There are probably hundreds more.

Reply to: Day Trip to Jedboro
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jedburgh