We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving into the mountains

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
driving into the mountains

We are there in September and would like to drive into the mountains to see birdlife, also visit a wildlife reserve if there is such a thing, and can anyone recommend a good place for birds and/or wildlife watching.. Also we wish to visit Valdemossa and Puerto Pollensa. How easy is to drive to these locations?

London
Level Contributor
603 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving into the mountains

There is a reserve, but it is near Alcudia rather than Soller, so perhaps people from that forum could help. Driving to Valdemossa nd Puerto Pollensa - you have two options each. Either go on the main roads, where it is easy, or through the mountains, where the roads are narrow (not great when a bus comes in the opposite direction) and windy. On saying that, the road to Val becomes easy past Deia, and is not a particularly long drive. The drive to Pollensa is longer, and very scenic, but windy more or less all the way. I'd say that as long as you take your time, and are a confident driver, you will be fine.

Northants
Level Contributor
116 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving into the mountains

Both the places you mention are easy to get to from Soller. The roads are quite good and shouldn't present any difficulty to a competent driver. The road to PP is actually very nice and it's worth stopping at Lluc on the way. The monastery is well worth a visit and there are walks from their where you can look out for wildlife. Before Lluc you could walk by one of the reservoirs. We did see an eagle their once soaring overhead. I should point out though that September is not the best time of year to look for wildlife.

In PP you could walk into the Boquer valley where you might see a black vulture. I usually park in Avinguda de Bocchoris. If you look up that street on Google maps you can see that you just cross the roundabout at the end of Bocchoris and the start of the walk is their. Incidentally the most exotic birds you might see is in the small park area in the middle of Avinguda de Bocchoris. I stayed in PP last September and seen Hoopoes nearly every time I passed that way.

Hope this helps. I'm hoping you get some other replies as I'm always on the look out for new places to walk and spot wildlife.

Northants
Level Contributor
116 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving into the mountains

I forgot about parc natural de s albufera, Diecysiete. That is the park near Alcudia. I've been their a few times but nearly always in the high season which isn't the best time of year for wildlife. It's a fairly long, very hot walk into the park along the canal. Even in high season it's probably worth a look though and there are some nice hides in the park.

Caimari, Mallorca
Level Contributor
630 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving into the mountains

The Cuber Reservoir, Puig de L'Ofre and Gorg Blau are much closer and youll see more of the birds of prey there than you will @albufera.

Booted and Bonellis Eagles, Black and Griffon vultures, Red Kites, Peregrine and Elenoras falcons etc.

There is a great book called "a Birding Tourists guice to Mallorca" - its also available on-line - which would be a good starting point. You could also pop by Mortix on your way to Pollenca and see the Black Vultures nesting sights and do some wine tasting at the same time.

Northants
Level Contributor
116 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving into the mountains

Finca_escastell, could you please tell me a bit more about Mortix. Is it difficult to get to the area where the nests can be viewed. I'm flying to Mallorca next Thursday for a fortnight so any info will be very much appreciated.

Caimari, Mallorca
Level Contributor
630 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving into the mountains

Actually the nesting area is closed now, you can check with the black vulture association (they have a facebook page under bvcf), you can send them an email through that, when its open

Having said that, you dont get to see the nests, really, just walk up into the Mortitx valley to see them circling. Nice place to visit, nevertheless.

Caimari, Mallorca
Level Contributor
630 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving into the mountains

apologies if my first post may have been misleading, btw...

8. Re: driving into the mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 18, 2014