We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food and walking in the area around nafplio

Much Wenlock...
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Food and walking in the area around nafplio

My wife and I will be staying in Nafplio for 9 days from May 20th. We've been before but it was the year after we got married in 1968 when we spent a month mostly on the Peloponnese. We moved to Canada from England the following year and never returned to Greece even though it is our favourite spot for places and people that we've been to since.

We'll arrive by bus from Athens and use buses for short local trips. We may rent a car a couple of times if we decide to venture further afield. We've browsed through these forums, lots of great advice, and read "visitnafplio" so have a fair idea of whats available but could use a bit of help with a couple of topics...

The first is food. We enjoy good ,slow food in a place which caters to locals as well as tourists. Wed almost prefer no atmosphere to one that is artificially created just for tourists and cruise ship patrons. We remember the food being great but something that's changed is we no longer eat meat. Not usually a problem as we eat dairy, eggs and fish and eat just about anything other than meat. We'll be eating out every day so can't afford expensive places but we usually find we enjoy the reasonable places best anyway. Keeping that in mind we'd love some input so I can come up with a list to check out. We're staying in the old town but certainly wouldn't mind walking out for good food.

The next thing is walking. We walk a lot and have identified some of the more obvious trips. What we would like are circular routes that can be reached by bus or a walk from or to a place reached by bus. We enjoy walking on backroads or paths and a "watering hole" somewhere along or at the end of the walk is a real bonus. Are there any local maps of such backroads and paths in the area? Any ideas??

Sorry for such a long post. I know we're going to have a great time but good food and good walks will make it even more special. Maybe now we're retired this will become a tradition.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
629 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food and walking in the area around nafplio

You say you have been to the visitnafplio pages, but you'll find info there answering most of your questions here.

Walks:

visitnafplio.com/visitnafplio.com/…21.html

My favourite eateries:

visitnafplio.com/visitnafplio.com/Nafplio/En…

Much Wenlock...
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food and walking in the area around nafplio

Thank you Malianna.

Yes I've read all those pages more than once and they're really helpful. I've made a list of walks and eating places.

What I was hoping to find about walking is if there are paths or quiet roads through the countryside around Nafplio and, if there are ,is there a map available showing them. For instance could we walk to Tiryns without going on the main road most of the way.

We'll have no problem finding food we enjoy I'm sure, but I was hoping maybe some other "non meat eaters " could tell us of places they'd enjoyed.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,439 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Food and walking in the area around nafplio

Hi Neighbour,The Greek publisher Orama have a map of Argolis 1:110.000 including street plans of Nafplio and Argos . Might be worth checking website of the Map Shop at Upton on Severn; I've found them very helpful with purchases by return of post. If ordering it might be easier to phone them.

There are three or four good tavernas in the streets just behind the expensive fish restaurants on the sea front, a nice way to finish the evening is people watching at one of the bar/cafes in the main square , not as pricey as they look.

Much Wenlock...
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food and walking in the area around nafplio

Thanks for that, BridgnorthSnaps. We've lived in Canada since '69 but have had a holiday home in Hughley, just outside of MW, since we retired. Will be arriving UK beginning of May and leave for Greece on the 20th.

I'll try to source that map over here as I'm sure it would help. We love maps---first thing we do anywhere new is get the OS.

Thanks for all your contributions. They add up to a great resource.

Much Wenlock...
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food and walking in the area around nafplio

Only just thought of using the ipad. I'll see if I can track some of those walks from Assini with Maps.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,439 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Food and walking in the area around nafplio

If you ever decide to visit the Southern Peloponnese, Sunflower Books have just published a new edition of car tours and walks of that area. Very highly rated , can be bought on Amazon.

colchester
Destination Expert
for Stoupa
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food and walking in the area around nafplio

Bridgnorth, thanks so much for the Sunflower info....I have just now ordered a copy from Amazon. 10 years ago I used a copy from our local library, it was so useful, but when I tried to get my own copy it was already out of print, and they said that they didn't intend to re-print it, only pre-loved copies at over £40, so I appreciate your advice.

p.s. I'm off to Stoupa in 16 days time!

Much Wenlock...
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food and walking in the area around nafplio

Just arrived home in Canada. We had a wonderful 10 days in Nafplio and would like to thank the contributors on this forum. Buses were good, hotel was great, people were great, walking was good and food was good. We'll be back next year and will probably split time between Nafplio and somewhere new in the region.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food and walking in the area around nafplio

Please recommend one or two very good restaurants. Many thanks.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,439 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Food and walking in the area around nafplio

Hello Tom Roberts, Glad that you enjoyed your trip to Nafplio.

You mentioned further exploring of the Peloponnese , you could consider Messinias , ancient sites like Ancient Messini, plus the castles at Methoni, Koroni Pylos etc; lots of good beaches . Easy to reach Kalamata by bus from Athens , but to get the most out the region, local car hire for a few days would be a good idea.