We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry connections for spring 2014

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry connections for spring 2014

Have there been any announcements about ferry schedules between Piraeus Kythira Antikythira and Kissamos yet? Delays with announcements and their publication will not help the tourist market at all. And local travel agents are not helping either, three direct emails have not been answered at all.

Boston...
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry connections for spring 2014

Hi, unfortunately Kythira itineraries for this summer have not been announced yet. The reason is that this route is normally subsidized by the government and there is a small possibility that connection with Piraeus with stop and that Kythira will be connected with Neapoli port. However, rumor has it that this summer the ferry will operate normally. If that helps, Piraeus - Kythira is operated twice per week, every Friday and every Monday or Wednesday. Sometimes in the summer there is an additional itinerary. If the itineraries are announced, I can let you know if you want.

Nick

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry connections for spring 2014

Thank you Nick,

I have been following the local press and the Minister has announced that the subsidy will continue from the end of February until, at least, the end of August. I would have thought that the shipping line would have the decency to announce the schedules and the shipping agents to respond to their emails. Their indifference to foreign tourist needs to plan ahead is appalling.

Boston...
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry connections for spring 2014

I know, at least this year it's somehow better, since most of the summer itineraries have been announced. However, with the Kythira line I'm not sure there is an official announcement that the subsidy will continue - I searched the internet but didn't find anything. Anyway, I hope they announce the itineraries soon, it's a shame for the tourism.. And if that helps, as I told you before, the ferry usually departs every Friday and Monday or Wednesday to Kythira.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry connections for spring 2014

That is all I have sen about the approval of funding to the end of August:

…blogspot.com.au/2014/02/blog-post_8846.html

I will try again the travel agents, they might be a bit more useful the second time.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry connections for spring 2014

>Their indifference to foreign tourist needs to plan ahead is appalling.<

Do you really think that transport schedules are designed with the needs of visitors in mind? With the exception of summer ferries in the Aegean islands, they are there for the locals to get around and Kythira is hardly a tourist hotspot other than for returnees from 'Big Kythira'.

Boston...
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry connections for spring 2014

geodali have a look at this article as well.. …blogspot.gr/2014/02/blog-post_5980.html

As I told you nothing is sure yet, and one of the reasons that the company has not announced the itineraries is because they have not come to an agreement with the ministry yet.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry connections for spring 2014

Thank you Nick, it amazes me how difficult it is for them to get their act together.

Philhellene, I disagree with you, as Kythera has been promoting itself as a tourist destination and really is a lovely island worth visiting for its many attractions.

Edited: 4:55 am, February 13, 2014
Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry connections for spring 2014

geodali - I think that the only part that you disagree with is about whether or not Kythira is a tourist hotspot. Of course it's a lovely island which is quite local to me and it does have many attractions.

The island's problem is one of geography. It's only connections with other islands are infrequent connections with Antikythira (which appeals only to hermits) and Kissamos in Crete. Otherwise, ferries only go to Piraeus ( a couple of times a week at most), Neapoli several times a week and then a 5 hour drive to Athens, and occasional other summer connections with the Peloponnese. As I said - designed for locals.

I try my best on here to convince visitors to come to Lakonia and that's hard enough because many people are too lazy to travel more than an hour from an airport. Kythira is on another scale altogether.

Of course, you can always fly down.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry connections for spring 2014

Philhellene, certainly Kythera is not a hot spot and that's why it is on my list of places to visit. I have been a few times through Lakonia (Sparta, Mistras, Monemvasia, Mani) by car but I would like to do Kythera, Antikythera, Kissamos one day but the situation at the moment would not allow this.

One day when things improve in Greece I might be able to do this.

Edited: 6:17 am, February 13, 2014
London, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry connections for spring 2014

Hi, I hope you don't mind me gatecrashing your thread but was hoping I can get some useful information / advice. We are travelling to Kythera in July for a wedding. We are flying into Kalamata so will need to get from there to Kythera. It seems that there will (hopefully) be a daily ferry service from Neapoli so worst-case scenario we can do the 3.5 hour drive to get there. I was, however, hoping that we can get the ferry direct from Kalamata or Gytheio so would greatly appreciate if anyone has information on these routes as the information online is fairly limited.

I was also wondering if anyone knows how the local busses are? Our travel party has grown since I originally planned the trip so I was hoping some people can catch a bus from Kalamata to Gytheio or Neapoli. Is this at all possible or will we now either require a second car?

Many thanks