We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plakias in late April/May

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Plakias in late April/May

can anyone tell me if the seafront tavernas are open in April/May, also can anyone give any info on taxis from Chania to Plakias, or reasonable car hire from the airport and is it easy enough to get on the right road for Plakias??? unlike Heraklion!!!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plakias in late April/May

Hi there

Earliest I've ever been to Plakias is mid May ( a few years ago for a day's drive from the north coast) and everywhere was open then. April might be rather early as the tourist season doesn't start in earnest until the start of May but I'm sure there'll be someone here who has visited in April who can confirm one way or the other. A taxi is going to cost you an arm and a leg, I don't know precisely how much but a taxi to Hora Sfakion was €85 this summer from Chania town centre and €100 from the airport. Plakias is a further 35kms or so along the coast so I'd think you'd be looking at a minimum of €130 from town and €140 from the airport.

It's an easy drive, and bear in mind that for the return cab fare of at least €250, you could hire a car for a week and have a lot of change, or for two weeks for a small car.

Just head along the E75 New National Road to Vrisses, turn off the E75 there and follow road to Hora Sfakion, then follow the coast road east to Plakias. Alternatively, stay on the E75 all the way to Rethymno, then head south via Armeni to Plakias. Not sure which one is the shorter, but going via Rethymno will be quicker, if not the most direct route.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Plakias in late April/May

Thankyou GB, especially for the road information, will probably hire a car from the airport, cross everything and hope for the best., the route taking in Hora Skafion sounds tempting (from where i'm sitting in England), either way it's beautiful scenery for certain!!!

thanks again.

3. Re: Plakias in late April/May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 23, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Plakias