We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January in Seefeld

Which Seefeld in Tirol hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hod Hasharon, Israel
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Topic
January in Seefeld

we are staying in Seefeld in January for a winter holiday, 2 couples all non skiers. We would like to take a scenic train ride preferably with a day or group ticket so we can get on and off when we want. We've stayed in seefeld in the winter before so I know about Garmisch, innsbruck, mittenwald and so on. Is there any direction further we could take the train mostly for the scenery seen from the train? Any suggestions?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,282 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January in Seefeld

Well it seems you already know that Seefeld is on the Munich-Garmisch-Mittenwald-Innsbruck line.

If you use the Einfachraus ticket you can use the Regional trains in Austria for a day. Includes the REX trains and local S-Bahn

oebb.at/en/…index.jsp

You could take the train to Innsbruck then change and get a train to Oetztal bahnhof at the head of the Oetztal (Ötztal)

http://www.oetztal.com/main/EN/WI/index.html

It will take 1h14 to 1h40 depending on connection

If you use http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp and choose "advance search" you can tick the box "Einfach Raus ticket" this will then only show the connections valid ith the Einfach Raus ticket (i.e. Intercity services like IC, ICE, EC and RAILJET are not included on the ticket)

Hod Hasharon, Israel
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: January in Seefeld

Thank you for your answer, but when I put in any of the villages in the oeztal region, it says that the Einfach Raus ticket is not available. Am I doing something wrong? Is the Einfach Raus ticket restricted to certain areas or just to certain trains?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,282 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January in Seefeld

Only Regional trains and S-Bahns.

YOu have to make sure that you select "Oetztal Bahnhof" as your destination. e.g. I just did Innsbruck Hbf to Oetztal Bahnhof on advanced search selcting "Einfach Raus" and it showed the REX and S-Bahn services

You may be selecting something that is a bus stop.

Hod Hasharon, Israel
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: January in Seefeld

Thank you very much for your answer. So what is Oeztal bahnhof and what is this station? Do we end up in a village where we can walk around for a little till we get the train back?

Also, if we don't just stick to the Einfach Raus, would it be worth it to go to St. Anton just for the scenic train ride? or maybe the Stubai railway to Fulpmes? Any other suggestions which would be worth the train ride for the scenes seen along the way?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: January in Seefeld

bahnhof = railroad station

So you are selecting the stop at the Oetzal railroad station

Hod Hasharon, Israel
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: January in Seefeld

I know bahnhof is railway station. What I meant was where exactly is the railway station and what is there to do there in terms of just walking around, is it in a village centre?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,282 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: January in Seefeld

Oetztal Bahnhof is at the head of the Oetz valley it is ~ 6km from the village of Oetz.

There are a number of bus services going down the valley to various places but many call at Oetz. You can get a couple of buses every hour. Journey takes 13mins

To go to the Stubaital you would take the ST bus from Innsbruck.

To see transport results in Tirol use www.vvt.at or www.oebb.at

If you wanted to you could even take a train(s) to Bressanone in Italy.

The Munich-Verona intercity service stops at Innsbruck and Bressanone.

Cheaper will be to take the local S-Bahn to Brenner then an Italian local train to Bressanone

Süd Tirol transport www.sii.bz.it will give you transport solutions from Brenner.

Hod Hasharon, Israel
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: January in Seefeld

Thank you for all the answers. Would a trip to St. Anton am Arlberg be a nice scenic trip in winter? Just take a trip there, walk arould for a bit and then back to Seefeld. (I know you can't do that on the Einfach-Raus ticket).

9. Re: January in Seefeld

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, December 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Seefeld in Tirol