We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dharamsala end february- start march

israel
2 posts
Save Topic
Dharamsala end february- start march

Hi all

i am planning to go to Dharamsala end february- start march for about a week.

I am a bit anxious because it's the first time i travel in india alone (and as a woman it's even harder ..) and people keep telling me it's not the "right" time to go there

I checked and most of the meditation and yoga centres are closed for winter.

Has anyone been there that time of year ?

What is the weather like ? are there enough tourists around ?

I was thinking of spoiling myself (due to the heaters they provide) and stay in Bhagsu hotel HPTDC in McLoudGanj.

Has anyone stayed there ?

I will be happy for any feedback

all the best - dorit

The Divine Hima
The Divine Hima
#1 of 95 hotels in Dharamsala
Udechee Huts
Udechee Huts
#1 of 3 hotels in Naddi
Fortune Park Moksha
Fortune Park Moksha
#1 of 34 hotels in McLeod Ganj
pune
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dharamsala end february- start march

hi

dharamsala is peaceful place and is relatively crime free. only be vary of the beggars and private tour operators or hotel owners. staying in Bhagsu hotel is a very good option as it is run by the government. this hotel provides good scenic view and a decent service. there are quite a few tourists during that time. the weather will be cold in the morning and evenings. during the day time it will be pleasant with light woollens. when travelling, ask your hotel reception itself to give you the taxi tariff card and if possible ask the receptionist to book the taxi for you. if you r taking a taxi on your own, then remember that the price quoted will be too high and you have to bargain a lot. if any other information is required, you can post a message

have a wonderful trip

India
Level Contributor
90 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dharamsala end february- start march

Yes- Dharamshals is nice place and relatively crime free. Do not worry for being a single women. But you have to have precautions what you should have when you travel alone in a distant country.

I assume you are landing in DELHI. You have to plan well and get your travel set right. You can reach PATHANKOT by train [ have to book well in advance for berth reservation ] and then can take cab for DHARAMSHALA.

You can also get bus from ISBT DELHI. I think taking a taxi all the way from DELHI is niether safe nor economic and least comfortable.

3. Re: Dharamsala end february- start march

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:49 pm, January 12, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
116 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dharamsala end february- start march

As mentioned it is the busiest time of year to travel to Dharmshala though also an interesting time to visit in terms of the Dalai Lama. For information about the teachings etc it is best to go to the Dalai Lama's website directly at www.dalailama.com

For flights you can also fly to Pathankot with Air Deccan and then take a bus or taxi from Pathankot to Mcleod Ganj which is about 2 1/2 hours. You can also take an overnight train from Delhi to Pathankot.

You will need to book now in fact it might be hard to find anywhere as everything will be booked out for the teachings.

Mentioned in this post
McLeod Ganj
McLeod Ganj
Dharamsala, India
5. Re: Dharamsala end february- start march

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:28 am, January 12, 2009
India
Level Contributor
172 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dharamsala end february- start march

Dharamsala could be quite wet in February. It gets incresingly pleasant from April onwards, till the onset of monsoons. Another difficulty faced in the higher reaches is the snowfall & slippery roads in upper Dharamsala.

Mcleodganj is a nice place to be in with the Tibetan monastery / Dalai Lamas HQ. The narrow road to Dharamkot will take you into another world. family Pizzaria & those shops around cater to a lot of tourists & especially Israelis. From Dharamkot, if you like to trek, Triund is but about 4 hrs with very steep gradient. The road from Dharamkot passes through some fine Cedar forests to reach upper Dharamsala, Udechee Huts being a beautiful hotel on the spur of the hill, overlooking the Dhaladhar range.

I have never stayed at Bhagsu so can't comment, but Udechee & White Haven are two great places to be in...the latter being high end & former medium category.

Dharamsala is safe as any other place in the world.

Enjoy your travels!

Mentioned in this post
Dharamsala
Dharamsala
Kangra District, India
Udechee Huts
Udechee Huts
320 Reviews
Naddi, India
7. Re: Dharamsala end february- start march

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 6:24 am, October 15, 2009