We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dharamsala at the end of January - Few Questions

London
Level Contributor
523 posts
266 reviews
Save Topic
Dharamsala at the end of January - Few Questions

Hi,

I plan to come to Dharamshala at the end of January for the One Day match between India and England. Based in London i have loved watching the ground and backdrop in the IPL on TV and now is a chance to visit as i will be in India for a wedding.

Firstly i will be travelling from Mumbai so i am guessing the best and quickest route will be to fly via Delhi directly to Dharamsala?

I know it will be very cold there then and seeing as its a day night match its likely i will need the kind of layers i need in London most of the year!

The next question is tickets? How would i go about getting tickets for the match? I would be arriving around midday on the day before the match and i am guessing they will be sold out by then! Is the blackmarket my best bet for a ticket?

I also need a hotel to stay at for the 2 nights i am there. As the game will finish late something not to far from the stadium would be ideal if anyone can suggest a good one.

From Dharamsala i then need to go to Amritsar? Is the best route to get a taxi to Pathankot which i am told is 2.5 hours and then a train from Pathankot-Amritsar which again im told is about 2.5-3hrs? During the winter months is the train service ok or are many trains cancelled?

Thanks in advance for any advice given

Sunny

Stockport Uk
Level Contributor
99 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dharamsala at the end of January - Few Questions

Hi I could do with finding out about tickets has anyone any info

Thanks

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dharamsala at the end of January - Few Questions

Hi Sunny,

Shall help you with your queries:

1. Yes, the fastest way to reach is take a flight from Delhi. Kingfisher is operating 2 flights on this sector daily. You should book it right away since its gonna get difficult to book later. Moreover its an ATR, which means limited seats.

2. You can expect weather to be really cold. Night temp below 5 degrees at that point of time. Days are pleasant. You better know how many layers you need :)

3. As of now, sale of tickets is not open. Sometimes they even do online sale of tickets. As of now, neither BCCI nor HPCA is selling tickets for this match online. (IPL tickets are being sold online every year). What you could do is talk to your hotel fellow & ask him to arrange for tickets in case they don't do online sale. I can update you on the ticket sale if I come to know any thing.

4. Regarding accommodation, best bet is to stay at Aveda. It is inside the stadium. Again, you should do this at the earliest since this place is also used by BCCI officials, players etc & would be difficult to get reservation at a later date. Other nearby decent hotels are GK Conifer & Hotel Centre Point.

5. On your journey to Amritsar, most convenient & fastest mode would be to take a taxi for entire journey. Asr is approx 200 kms & if you can avoid traffic hours, this can be done in 4 hrs time. There are buses as well, which take about 6 hrs. You can also break the journey by taking a taxi till pathankot(90 kms, 2 hrs) & then a train from there. Another 2 hours plus 1 hour of buffer time, which means 5 hours in all......

Also, would like to add that Kingfisher is facing crisis as of now & you should have a plan B to reach. Other nearby airports with regular flights from Delhi/Mumbai are Chandigarh, Jammu & Amritsar. You can book flight to any to these places as a back up plan.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dharamsala at the end of January - Few Questions

And trust me, it is the world's prettiest cricket ground. You won't regret coming here......

London
Level Contributor
523 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dharamsala at the end of January - Few Questions

Hi Ashish,

Thank you for the great reply! The answers are really helpful!

I actually emailed the Aveda yesterday and they said the room would be 4600 INR per night, i thought this is very cheap as it covers a match day. Have i caught them unaware of the match? If i book this can they later cancel my booking once they realise the room rate is wrong? I am also aware the BCCI are often prone to changing dates of fixtures so slightly concerned if i book now they may move the date of the game after leaving me stuck! There is still 5 months till the match.

From Dharamshala to Amritsar i think i will take your advice and get a cab all the way. Would you know the approx cost of this? I plan to leave fairly early so hopefully beat the traffic.

I will then be getting a taxi to Chandigarh a few days later to watch the final ODI in Mohali before flying back to Mumbai and then London from there.

Thanks again for all your help

Sunny

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dharamsala at the end of January - Few Questions

Hi Sunny,

4600 per night on match day sounds like a great deal. You should go for it. If you are not too comfortable with it or to be on safer side, you can book GK Conifer. It is about 8-10 minutes walk from the stadium. Would like to add that most of the roads in Dharamsala are narrow & they do not allow traffic on roads leading to stadium on match days. If your hotel is far, you will have to walk for 2-3 kms or even more to reach the stadium. Considering that, it makes sense to stay close to the stadium itself. Can't predict the BCCI schedule but as of now match is on......

On way drop to Amritsar would cost approx 4000 rs. You can talk to your hotel guys to get a better deal. Else talk to Mr. Deva. he has a reliable taxi service & can give you exact prices. His website is http://www.dharamshalataxi.com/

Wish you a great trip

Best,

Ashish

London
Level Contributor
523 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dharamsala at the end of January - Few Questions

Tried booking the Aveda a couple of weeks ago but have been told its been block booked by the HPCA for the days before, during and after the game and there is no availibility.

Will look at the GK Conifer & Hotel Centre Point now and see what they come back with!

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dharamsala at the end of January - Few Questions

Also, do keep an eye on Kingfisher in case you booked a flight from Delhi. It is under temporary lock out.

Regarding hotels, GK Conifer is closer to venue, try block your rooms before its too late...

London
Level Contributor
523 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dharamsala at the end of January - Few Questions

My worst fear has come true and the BCCI have moved the fixtures swapping the venues of the 4th and 5th ODI around. The game will now be played in Dharamsala on the 27th rather then the original 23rd!

Thankfully i trusted my instinct that there may be a date change and did not book my hotel!

London
Level Contributor
523 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dharamsala at the end of January - Few Questions

Match Tickets Booked, Hotel Booked! All set now!

Now for my next question - What restuarant serves the best momos???!

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dharamsala at the end of January - Few Questions

Sounds great... I am in Dharamsala till 15th. Will miss the match since I have to travel back to Bangalore...

Well all restaurants in dharamsala serve good momos including mclleo. Its like staple food here. However, there are few small time restaurant which i recommend for momos. In case of non veg, ask for Kripal on Khaniara Road in lower dharamsala and for veg, try Embassy on Cantt road, dharamsala