We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dharamsala to Amritsar - car hire?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
47 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Dharamsala to Amritsar - car hire?

Hello and Namaste! I plan to be in Dharamsala/McLeodganj this December and my next destination afterwards is Amritsar. I am trying to figure out the fastest method of getting there.

From reading LonelyPlanet, it seems the quickest way would be to take a bus or taxi to Pathankot, then the train from there to Amritsar. Does this sound right?

Is it possible to hire a car all the way? How long would that take and how much might that cost, especially to have a driver who will go directly there and not force me to do many stop-offs? I am willing to pay.

Thanks,

Skiold

Edited: 12:41 am, August 21, 2010
agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,315 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dharamsala to Amritsar - car hire?

Amritsar to Dharamshala is app 200 Kms.and is app.4-4.5 hrs. drive. Amritsar a big city so it won.t be difficult to find Taxis for Dharamshala.As they charge from garage to garage so you have to pay for 400 kms.You can allways bargain.

deepak

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dharamsala to Amritsar - car hire?

There is a direct bus from Dharamsala- Amritsar. Bus#5030039, departs at 04:50 and arrives at 11:00 with cost of 138Rs.

Edited: 1:02 am, August 21, 2010
agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,315 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dharamsala to Amritsar - car hire?

Car is the quickest way to do Amritsar-Dharamshala but if you travel by bus you save lot of money.

deepak

Edited: 1:08 am, August 21, 2010
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
47 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dharamsala to Amritsar - car hire?

Thank you! The bus might be my best option, then, but just out of curiosity, what would be a fair price range for a taxi ride?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dharamsala to Amritsar - car hire?

Referring to 'Mcleodganj Taxi Union', the prices are 4,000Rs(1-way) and 5.200Rs (both way) respectively.

The cost may be not updated.

You can contact by e-mail: mcleodganjtaxiunion@gmail.com or call: +91 1892 221034

Edited: 1:15 pm, August 21, 2010
Pahalgam, India
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Dharamsala to Amritsar - car hire?

The latest updated prices we have (all one way)

Jeep aircon - Rs 4200

Jeep non-aircon - Rs 3800

Taxi aircon - Rs 3500

Taxi non-aircon - Rs 3200

You can organise jeeps/taxis from the taxi stand directly or through any hotel or travel agent in Mcleod Ganj/Dharamshala.

7. Re: Dharamsala to Amritsar - car hire?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 18, 2011