We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit N India - Dharamsala ?

Israel
1 post
Save Topic
Best time to visit N India - Dharamsala ?

I'm trying to find out when is the best time to visit Dharamsala in regards to the weather ? I'm thinking about April / May ?

I will want to do some trekking as well as some yoga and meditations. Can someone help in any way/

Thanks, Lilach

UK
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit N India - Dharamsala ?

Yes these months will be best for Dharamshala and also you can go to Rishikesh for yoga

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
154 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit N India - Dharamsala ?

You can add Dalhousie, Manali, Shimla and amrtisar to this period. Trekking is better in Manali region and also oppurtunity to do skiing.

Dharamasala is great to visit the monasteries and you can stay at lodges or old bungalows in mcleodganj.

Delhi
Level Contributor
731 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit N India - Dharamsala ?

Depends on what weather you like.

In North India, you have winters from Nov to Feb with extreme cold in Decend, Jan and Feb begining.

Hills like Dharamshala, Shimla, Manali are colder for a longer period.

April/ May are hot season in the plains andambientweather in the hills but it is also peak tourist season in the hills because of summer vacations in schools across India. All hotel rates are high and there is no room to even walk in these 'touristy' places.

NEW DELHI INDIA
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit N India - Dharamsala ?

it is nice time but peack time for rush of tourists

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit N India - Dharamsala ?

Mid March to April is the peak season for Dharamshala. Weather is excellent at that time.

You can go to Tushita Meditation Centre and do Triund Trek. May go upto Laqa or Lahesh Caves also.

I was there during the just gone Christmas holidays. I went on Triund trek also, here is my trip report indiamike.com/india/…

Orissa
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit N India - Dharamsala ?

SUNIL_RAJASTHANI

Could you please tell me month of September is it the best time to visit dharamsala.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to visit N India - Dharamsala ?

The peak season is April - June. Then it starts raining there.

September is OK, but low season.

Petaling Jaya...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to visit N India - Dharamsala ?

Thank you for the info. Any tips as to how to get from Delhi to Dharamsala and then to Chail, and the other 3 places that you mentioned in your reply. Do you need pror booking for budget accomadation in early Sept? Thank you

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to visit N India - Dharamsala ?

No prior booking neccesaary at that time of year. There are loads of cheap beds at that time of year. Even when there's an audience with HH the Dalai Lama you'll still find rooms in Mcleodganj, Daramkot or Bagshu Nag

To get there you have choices, there are punishing direct buses to Mcleaod Ganj or Dharamsala or you can use a combination of overnight train, to Pathenkot followed by a bus or privat/shared taxi from there to Mecleodganj.

By overnight bus to Dharamsala (some 8 Kilometers below the main tourist hu of Mcleodganj click the link below

http://tinyurl.com/bustodharamsala

By train

AII JAT EXPRESS DLI 22.35 CHKB 06.10 travel time

07.35hrs

New Delhi India
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time to visit N India - Dharamsala ?

you are right april may is the best priod to visit dharamshala.you can hire car for from delhi to dharamshal - http://bit.ly/d7aISF