We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a sweater for October in Dharamsala?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need a sweater for October in Dharamsala?

I'll be in Dharamsala from Oct 17th-27th. I'm backpacking and this would be the only week in a two month trip that might require a sweater so I'd prefer to not bring one if I can get away with it.

It looks like the temperature ranges from about 15-25 degrees in October - which I could bear without a sweater - but I wanted to check if that's reliable.

Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need a sweater for October in Dharamsala?

Hello Paul,

Your 2 month trip - where else and when is that? Before or after? Will you not need a long sleeved shirt or sweater for that part of the trip? For Dharamsala, I wouldn't say you would need a woollen sweater, but a long sleeved top might be a good idea for October in the morning/evenings.

Hope that helps.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
711 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need a sweater for October in Dharamsala?

Hi

Sweater will be a good choice. Light and easy to carry.

But you will require it, it is for sure. Now temperature will be lowering down, just an start to winter season and at Dharamshala in mid Oct, you will require it.

With regards

Shaan

Jalandhar, India
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need a sweater for October in Dharamsala?

in northern india, the season changes in the month of oct and nov. the temrature continues to come down and may be it decreases to 0 to 5 degrees in himalayan mountaineous areas. better to carry sweaters

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need a sweater for October in Dharamsala?

Thanks for your answers everyone. Just to add my experience now that I'm actually there. It is cool late into the night and sunrise, around 12 degrees, but the days are still warm t-shirt weather. A hardy traveler could possibly get by here in just a t-shirt if you don't plan on going out at night, and even then you're not going to freeze if you're wearing a tee during the evening. I have a very light sweater with me and haven't worn it at all.

This was my only stop in a cooler area during a monthlong trip to India - most of the time spent in 30+ celsius heat so warm gear would have been a waste of space.

I've been told the weather is unpredictable this time of year so it could still turn cold. There are a lot of shops selling cheap fleeces and sweaters if you get here and the weather turns. There is even a second hand clothing shop where travelers have left the unwanted gear, so if you came here and got stuck there are plenty of options.

Edited: 7:01 am, October 18, 2017
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
118 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need a sweater for October in Dharamsala?

Hi Paul,

Good to hear about your traveller experience. Yes, the weather keeps changing, starting right from the month of October till March. The mornings and the evenings are cooler, as compared to the noontimes.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need a sweater for October in Dharamsala?

Hi Paul, thanks for the update! How are you enjoying it there? I loved that area and found it fascinating. Good advice about buying a 2nd hand long sleeved there if you that is the only place you need one, then you ca give away at the end!

Have a great rest of your trip!

Reply to: Do I need a sweater for October in Dharamsala?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted