We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

request to seasoned Uganda Travellers

Dubai, United Arab...
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
request to seasoned Uganda Travellers

Good afternoon to all,

we are doing the following itinerary with a group of 4 in August. I would appreciate if any of you have any little hints/tips/advice on what to do/not do/see. I have read through the forums but there may be something to see in one of these areas that ye guys know about that we could include that may be currently overlooked. Thanks for all your help

Kibale - chimp tracking - staying at kibale primate lodge

Queen elizabeth kasenyi - boat safari + game drive. - staying at mweya safari lodge

Queen elizabeth ishasha - staying at ishasha tented camp

bwindi - staying at gorilla safari lodge

Bwindi gorilla trek

Bwindi village walk + pygmies visit

Bwindi gorilla trek + transfer to mbarara

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: request to seasoned Uganda Travellers

Hello and welcome to the forum

It would be easier for the seasoned travellers and guides, to comment if you provide your Day by Day itinerary.

Looks good, but what about Lake Mburo on the way back from Mbarara?

Any birding?

How many nights at each place etc...

Time of arrival - but guess you will be early afternoon on the Emirates flight? Staying where the first night?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,457 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: request to seasoned Uganda Travellers

Any birding? Shelly I cannot believe you asked that. What has become of you?

Welcome John,

Your Itinerary looks Ok and your driver/guide will know what to show you.

As Shelly says it would be helpful if you gave number of days at each place.

Kibale. Chimps of course and if time the Bigodi Swamp walk is very interesting. Look for Green Mambas in the trees.

QE at Mweya. You got most. If you want so out of car time ask for a walk over the airstrip to the point in the cool of the afternoon..

Ishasha. Try and get up to Lake Edward Flats.

Bwindi. I never recommend the BaTwa visits. To degrading for them and you. Leave them be. Go walking to the Waterfall instead or do some birding.

Kampala
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: request to seasoned Uganda Travellers

If you really want to see the pygmies, first , do the 2 gorilla treks, then connect to Lake bunyonyi for sight seeing, birding and canoeing to visit the Batwa pygmies village.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,457 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: request to seasoned Uganda Travellers

Maybe the Twa (please do NOT call them Pygmies, it is NOT nice!) do not want to see John?

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
115 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: request to seasoned Uganda Travellers

never miss out the crater explosion!

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: request to seasoned Uganda Travellers

hahaaa. I was just showing someone a photo of my owl. She wasn't a bit bothered by it!

As for the Batwa, personally, if it's relevant to visit that's fine. A friend was responsible for a project they were running there, so when they went trekking her son went across to see how things were going. But I agree with you... in general terms. Having never been though, I'm not sure if visitors are important for their economy/livelihood? Bit of a dilemma really.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,457 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: request to seasoned Uganda Travellers

Sadly, visitors are an important source of money for Ganja.

For years these people have been regarded as little better than animals, even by their own countrymen. Please don't turn them into a zoo exhibit. They are 'caged' already in totally unsuitable habitat as their lands have been stolen from them over the last 400 years since the Bantu came.

Dubai, United Arab...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: request to seasoned Uganda Travellers

Good Afternoon to All,

I would firstly like to thank all of you that gave advice on the above request. Uganda exceeded our expectations and we had an amazing trip. The local people, various guides and especially the children were incredibly friendly and the lodges in all locations were excellent(i will update this post with location names and photos shortly).

The Gorilla treks were INCREDIBLE. If at all possible, its a must see in one's lifetime and a wondrously humbling experience. I am getting some notes on the trip together and will update a full post at a later stage.

Unfortunately the Kenya portion of the trip was a complete disaster. Our tour operator took our money and didnt book any of the itinerary, including hotels, lodges, flights, and transfers. The Police were called, he was arrested and we had to stay around for a court date. The case was adjourned to a later date, no monies were returned and we curtailed the holiday and flew home without seeing anything of value in Kenya.

It was an extremely stressful experience and has left a very bad taste in our mouth, but thats life. A fantastic experience in Uganda followed by a nightmare in Kenya.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: request to seasoned Uganda Travellers

Oh dearie me, how awful for you all. :( So sorry. Hope you posted a warning on the Kenyan forum.

However, when you have the time and energy, would really appreciate a trip report - you can post it directly in the top forum if you wish or just start a separate thread and link it (argh, which reminds me... must practice what I preach, have one to finish!!)

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: request to seasoned Uganda Travellers

I am so sorry to hear of your bad experience in Kenya. Sounds like an absolute nightmare. It isn't the first time this sort of thing has happened in Africa and it won't be the last unfortunately. It really doesn't help tourism. I read this forum for a couple of years before choosing a ground operator I felt comfortable with sending large amounts of money to.

Thank goodness you had a good experience in Uganda and thank you for the feedback so far - as Shelly says, we love trip reports if you get a chance.