We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rwanda Gorilla permits -US$750

UGANDA
Level Contributor
483 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Rwanda Gorilla permits -US$750

Has any body heard of how far the ORTPN has gone with the issue of increasing the prices for Rwanda gorilla permits for July 2012 onwards to US$ 750 ?

Well, A friend of mine from Australia wanted to purchase gorilla permits for July 2012 and though there was availability , his money was rejected and he was told the Starting July , permits MAY cost US$ 750 .

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,457 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Rwanda Gorilla permits -US$750

ugandasafaris.

Why indeed? but it is a sad fact of life that people take the best price they can get and sell to the highest bidder.

Imagine you are Chief of UWA, and your pay is linked to what UWA can bring in. What would you do?

As a Safari operator you will do the same.

Kampala
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Rwanda Gorilla permits -US$750

mfuwe I get your point.

In this case, if I were the chef of UWA, in order to get more clients on my side, I would mantain the 500$ and come up with more groups.

Rwanda's gorillas are less in number compared to those of Uganda. Many of Uganda's gorillas cross to Rwanda and they do not come back.

So UWA should find away of keeping them in uganda, habituate more groups that can bring more revenue to the Country thank hike the price.After all during the high season, UGANDA misses alot of revenue from tourist due to the scarcity of gorilla permits.

Whether Rwanda hikes to 750$ per permit, it still has an advantage over Uganda in that the trekking exercise is much easier in RWANDA, Plus the proximity of the International Airport to Volcanoe gorilla park.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,457 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Rwanda Gorilla permits -US$750

Ssebo, I agree and it makes sense to do that. Run full groups all year round but it does reach a limit with how many Gorilla families can be habituated. Faced with that I think Bwana Mkubwa at UWA will go for the extra money as a quick fix.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Rwanda Gorilla permits -US$750

*cough* what UWA Chiefs?. *cough*

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Rwanda Gorilla permits -US$750

Well It appears we are part of the lucky few as my agent has confirmed in writing that they have booked and paid for our permits and so we should not be affected...phew!

I would like to visit Uganda on a longer trip one day and many ways I am glad we were able to get the Gorilla trip on this year. Whilst we are likely to return to Africa for many years to come, we are unlikely to trek gorillas again because the g

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Rwanda Gorilla permits -US$750

Oops.... Because the cost is so high!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,457 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Rwanda Gorilla permits -US$750

Good news there Id. when is your trip? You WILL come back to Uganda. Most of us do! Come and have good look round at leisure soon.

I should get something for that bad cough Shelly. Too many drinks out of damp glasses perhaps?

Edited: 3:51 pm, January 30, 2012
ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Rwanda Gorilla permits -US$750

We will be I Rwanda 18th to 21st Sept. I originally chose it because the trekking is meant to be easier and as we will be travelling onwards to the selous and then Zanzibar we took the easy option.

Then of course we decided upon flights via Entebbe - you may remember my posts in this.

In the end we have decided to take it easy getting around as we have 9 seperate flights in two weeks and so will now travel overnight to Entebbe (2 flights) spend a day and night at the Boma, before heading to Kigali (flight 3) the next morning. I know a lot of travellers prefer to maximise the time spent on safari etc, but I don't

mind taking it easy getting around Africa as I have had too many nail biting journeys over the years and its a sort of mini rule I have, if the plane stops why not get off and have a look around,

after all I may never be back that way again.

Anyway as a result of all this planning and piqued interest in Uganda, it's now risen up the ranks above Namibia and Zambia

and is now just behind Madagascar!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,457 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Rwanda Gorilla permits -US$750

Of course it is September, I should have remembered from your post above..Now you mention it I recall the conversation about flights too.

Good to see the Pearl has moved up the league table for you.

I think she scrapes past Namibia, (just back from my fourth trip there,) close though and well ahead of Zambia.

Horses for courses but Madagascar is not even on the first page for me.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,457 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Rwanda Gorilla permits -US$750

Latest news in says<<

Slight amendment negotiated.

All gorilla permits purchased before 1st June 2012 for tracking in 2012 will stay at US$500. All permits purchased after this date will be sold at the new rate of US$750. Gorilla permits for tracking in 2013 will be sold at US$750 regardless of the time of purchase.>>

I read this as saying you can still buy 2012 permits for dates up to 31st December 2012 at $500, provided you buy them before 31st May.

Buy after 31st May and they will cost $750 as will Permits for anytime thereafter.

Hope it helps.