We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire from Kampala to Kisoro/Nkuringo

Kampala
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire from Kampala to Kisoro/Nkuringo

Hi,

I'm planning a gorilla trek on a budget and was considering using public transport to get to Bwindi. But then read about taking a bus in Uganda being a scary experience and bringing some travellers to tears and hence opted for a private hire. Does anyone has an experience of taking a bus from Kampala to Kisoro? Is it really that horrible?

So as said I'm considering hiring a car and a driver to take us from Kampala to Nkuringo and back. Can someone tells me how much would it cost and recommends someone reliable with affordable prices?

Many thanks!

Katja

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire from Kampala to Kisoro/Nkuringo

You'd get a heap of replies on the expat group to that request ;)

But I'm PMing you the name of someone very reliable you can contact, who has good rates.

Whether you take the buses is up to you, my daughter went to Kigali twice on the bus, but you know it's not the most amazing way to travel. And prices have jacked up as well. Did you know the most safe bus to take is the Posta Bus, (takes the mail round the country) and you get it from the central post office off Kampala Rd, they leave every day at 8 am, you need to be there in the queue about 7.30 am. They also have a website you can check for the routes. They are the safest, because they are only interested in delivering the mail, and the people are a bonus (clever way to pay for the fuel), and thus, they are not in a race with other competitors to get from Kla to wherever and backagain, thereby driving rough-shod up and down the roads without a care for anyone else. Gaa Gaa HAS to be the worst, but I think they only go to Gulu and Lira! (My pet hate bus company!)

Alles klair?!

Kampala
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire from Kampala to Kisoro/Nkuringo

I definitely don't recommend public transport for tourists. presently fetal accidents have been reported occurring on the high ways. You may be the unlucky or the lucky passenger. Although private transport can also be risky, it is safer. With your budget, you can save your life

Edited: 4:50 am, January 24, 2012
UGANDA
Level Contributor
483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire from Kampala to Kisoro/Nkuringo

I agree with Shelly and Golden...

Edited: 1:12 pm, January 24, 2012
Kampala
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire from Kampala to Kisoro/Nkuringo

It can cost you around 75$-100$ per day for a 4x4 wheel drive including a driver and excluding fuel.

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire from Kampala to Kisoro/Nkuringo

So GaaGaa bus company makes your gag, Shelly?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire from Kampala to Kisoro/Nkuringo

Shelly, Do you mind emailing me the contact of the driver as well? Thank you in advance!

cherrylene@gmail.com

Cherrylene

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire from Kampala to Kisoro/Nkuringo

For the 9months I was in Uganda I took public with no problems. With that said, it can be reckless and certainly is dangerous sometimes. It can also be a hassles as there are not set times and you usually have to wait for buses to fill before they leave so you may end up arriving at night or later than you want. Car hires exist and can be quite expensive. Dependingo n your bargaining skills, I would budget at least 100 for that ride. Good luck!!!!

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire from Kampala to Kisoro/Nkuringo

Cherrylene - you might be wise to delete your post off a public forum, and PM instead. Just a suggestion.

NICE
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire from Kampala to Kisoro/Nkuringo

Hi, would you have name of a driver with 4x4 wheel. I would like to go from kampala to kisoro

Thanks

10. Re: Car hire from Kampala to Kisoro/Nkuringo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 21, 2013