We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gorrilla Trekking in Uganda

Dublin
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Gorrilla Trekking in Uganda

I;m hoping to do a trip to Uganda later this year to see the gorrillas. Looking for info from anyone who has been there recently. Ideally I want to go with a company that will organise everything & preferably a small group outing. Any info at all would be appreciated.

Australia
Level Contributor
226 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gorrilla Trekking in Uganda

I'm doing this in about...10 days! Will let you know how it goes!

I'm booked with Churchill Safaris. They can organise everything. I won't say I recommend them yet, as I've still not done the actual trip. But their communication and everything to date has been top quality.

2. Re: Gorrilla Trekking in Uganda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:00 pm, July 15, 2010
Uganda
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gorrilla Trekking in Uganda

Being a tour operator in Uganda my self, am very much aware that most of tour operators in Uganda can organize this kind of tour.You can check with the association of Uganda tour operators at http://www.auto.or.ug you will be helped.also you can check with Uganda tourist board at www.visituganda.com

Good Luck

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,630 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gorrilla Trekking in Uganda

10 days tachOz.? Looks like we may meet in the Bar.

Australia
Level Contributor
226 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gorrilla Trekking in Uganda

hehe! To say i'm excited is an understatement!

This will be my first time in Africa on holiday. Been a few times for work, but never been on safari or anything like that. Have some time in Uganda to see the gorillas before heading down to Kenya and Tanzania for a more traditional safari...And then to top it off I get to go watch that little football tournament in Jo'burg and Durban :D

It shall be epic!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,630 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gorrilla Trekking in Uganda

Good luck. I shall be there in six more sleeps. So we will look out for you in my mirrors but I may have cleared the TZ border by your landing. Going the scenic route.

Dublin
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gorrilla Trekking in Uganda

thanks to each of you for your updates - I'll look into these

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,630 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gorrilla Trekking in Uganda

Sorry dipsyD. Your question somehow got overlooked.

As you can see there are one of two Churchill fans on here.

To answer your question.

Most Ugandan firms can put the trip together for you as a bespoke trip. There are many to choose from on the website Abacus provided.

You mention a small group outing but I am not sure what you mean.

Is this the whole trip with say three or four others (strangers) put together by the travel company or do you mean the actual Gorilla trek itself?

If the latter you will be happy to know that all these are 'small groups' usually of between 3 and 8 people. This is so that the Gorillas do not feel threatened by lots of Pink apes watching them watching us. There will always be less people in the group than there are Gorillas. You will not be in a huge crowd of folks trampling the forest. Is this what you meant?

Dublin
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gorrilla Trekking in Uganda

thanks mfuwe......you seem to be a fountain of knowledge on all these things - I;m guessing that you have done lots of trips.

To be honest its both things that you mention. As I will be travelling alone I was looking for the easy way of doing this, so ideally was looking to hook up with an agency that organise small group trips, so that I would not have to organise things on my own and at the same time would be with like minded people. I would also like to know that it would be a small group that would be trekking - as I am thinking that the smaller the group, the less disturbance you would cause to the gorrillas and I guess ultimately would also be a better experience. I;ll check out those sites, and also had better check flights to. Thanks for all the info. This is the 1st time that I;ve done a trip alone, and its quite a big one......so all very daunting for me

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,630 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gorrilla Trekking in Uganda

Glad to help. I see I guessed the second half OK. Your group to the Gorillas will be managed so that there will be no disturbance. It will go well.

Small group travel is tricky as you may end up with a group of three friends plus you and 'not fit' as it were. Most folks are nice enough though. Solo travel is never easy although some thrive on it. It can be expensive though as the full brunt of the Park Fees, driver and car comes on you..

If your times are flexible to permit starting to suit an available group I should go for this option but beware some operators will say they have a group when in fact it is wishful thinking. You are the first of the group and they are hoping that others will come along. When they don't you are stuck with being solo after all.

With no ulterior motive, Email Churchill and put that proposal to them.

caasafaris@africaonline.co.ug and see what they can offer.