We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uganda Trips - Deposit and Gratuities Payments

Sydney
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Uganda Trips - Deposit and Gratuities Payments

I have organised a Uganda trip with one of the in-bound tour operators highly recommended by the TripAdvisor group.

I have now received my invoice in full and have been asked for a deposit to take it to the next step. What would be the usual expectations of the deposit payment percentage-wise?

Also thinking at the other end of the scale - what level of gratuities or in actual figures Uganda shillings (preferable) does one pay for a job well done. I am thinking particular of a driver/guide. Ours is a six day tour with two National Parks.

Many thanks in advance.

Dave

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,618 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uganda Trips - Deposit and Gratuities Payments

Answered part 1 already.

Tips? always sensitive issue. My rule of thumb and supported by most firms is $10 per day per CAR, not per pax. so for 6 days this would be $60 or the equivalent in UgSh. If you are truly satisfied that he has done a good job, looked after you well and found those elusive animals etc., then no harm in rounding this up to $75 or even $100. Take care to spell out why you have raised the norm so he/she does not get to expect it from others as of right. (That is always the tricky bit)

tips for luggage carriers at Lodges, $1 or 2,000Ugsh. About the price of a beer as you would at home. Scouts/rangers on wildlife walks etc., maybe 5,000-10,000. Depends what they did for it.

2. Re: Uganda Trips - Deposit and Gratuities Payments

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, October 14, 2009