We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gorilla Trekking - How Fit Must You Be?

Ethiopia
2 posts
Save Topic
Gorilla Trekking - How Fit Must You Be?

Just how fit does one have to be to go gorilla trekking in Bwindi? I'm 56, relatively fit, not overweight, non-smoker, currently live above 6000 feet - but still not in the best of shape! I could walk for hours over level ground, but am concerned about mountain climbing? How difficult is it?

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Gorilla Trekking - How Fit Must You Be?

Thanks, I'll try to make myself go slow...although I have a feeling that since we are in a group, I won't have a choice.

I'm sure it will be fine. My husband has been more worried about the altitude than I have. I guess we'll see!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
166 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Gorilla Trekking - How Fit Must You Be?

You will be more than fine, you'll be perfect for it. When we did it, there was a couple in their late sixties with regular shoes that did it. They made us all go very slow, but no one minded. They guides are very good at making sure that the group goes at the pace suiting the slowest member of the group, and it does'nt sound like that will be you!

Merv.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Gorilla Trekking - How Fit Must You Be?

Thank you! If we can breathe (altitude), we will be just fine.

14. Re: Gorilla Trekking - How Fit Must You Be?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:21 am, October 10, 2009