We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving at night from Wadi Rum to Petra with a child?

Which Petra - Wadi Musa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
44 reviews
Driving at night from Wadi Rum to Petra with a child?

Hi from Australia,

My tour through Wadi Rum ends at 5:30 pm in mid November. I understand that during this season sunset is around 6 pm... my plan is to drive with a rented car (and GPS) from Wadi Rum to Petra around 6 pm. I'm travelling with my 7 year old son.

Is it safe?

Thanks in advance... any comment would be highly appreciated.

Amman
Level Contributor
789 posts
1. Re: Driving at night from Wadi Rum to Petra with a child?

Not a problem. Road is good. The trip will take you about 1,5 hour.

Keep your eye on the weather though.

Henk

Jordan Phototravel.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: Driving at night from Wadi Rum to Petra with a child?

Thanks!!

Petra
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Driving at night from Wadi Rum to Petra with a child?

The road is good as Henk says. For the first 45 minutes you will be on the Desert Highway, the only problem here are the trucks, be careful, many of them drive like idiots. When you reach the top of the hill you will turn left onto the King's Way. The 'exit' is a bit confusing, just because the road you're taking does not have street lights, not even the first few meters and therefore you feel like you're driving into a big dark hole. The rest of the way you'll be in the hills, there are a few sharp corners halfway. You will drive through the villages of Rajev and Taybeh before you reach Wadi Musa / Petra. Have a great time !

Patricia (Petra B&B)

Jordan
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
4. Re: Driving at night from Wadi Rum to Petra with a child?

Personally I would say if you can set off a bit earlier - and drive during daylight its much better and safer

when you dont know the roads... You don't want to be stressed out... Just re-schedule your stay there..

Leave Wadi Rum about 4.30 - it will be dark around 5.30pm so the next half an hour driving will be ok...

Just take it easy....

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
44 reviews
5. Re: Driving at night from Wadi Rum to Petra with a child?

Excellent! gread advice.. thanks

6. Re: Driving at night from Wadi Rum to Petra with a child?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, July 15, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Petra - Wadi Musa