We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest way to see Petra Guided and unguided

Which Petra - Wadi Musa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest way to see Petra Guided and unguided

I am looking for the cheapest ways to visit Petra from Aquaba, I am interested in both a guided and unguided tour (Id Pay extra for a guided tour if it wasnt horribly more expensive and maybe was a donkey or similar ride through Petra)

I did some reasearch, It seems a Taxi is about 125 Dinars round trip from Aqaba, but a Guided Tour was $180 a person (There are 2 of us) neither included admission to Petra which is 50 Dinars a person (I am staying overnight in Aqaba)

thanks

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest way to see Petra Guided and unguided

Once you get to Wadi Musa it totally easy to see Petra on your own and you could always hire a guide there if you wanted and you can definitely ride donkeys and camels in Petra without a guide. The cheapest option will be to take the bus and I think there are still a few departures in the morning but maybe someone who has been recently can confirm this. If the bus schedules don't work out then hire a taxi which maybe should only be around 45JOD one-way. 125JOD seems high even if they are waiting for you in Wadi Musa. I think it was only like 10-15JOD more for the return trip including waiting when I was there and looking into it. You could rent a car for the day and drive yourself as well.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
6,492 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest way to see Petra Guided and unguided

howard time is important factor.?

take taxi private from Aqaba to Petra cost around 180 j0d per car return including waiting time at petra

you can hire a TG at ticket office cost around 50 jod for 4 hours

you can ride donkey,camel or horse or horse and carriage all available on site.

cheers

Raymond

Amman Pasha Hotel

Petra
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest way to see Petra Guided and unguided

Cheapest way is to get a taxi from Aqaba to take you to Petra, 40 to 45 JOD depending on whether your hotel is in the center of town or in Aqaba. Entry ticket to Petra (50 JOD) includes a guided group tour (3 hours), however in low season they may tell you will have to wait because there is no 'group'. The handler of a donkey or horse is in no way a guide. After you finish your tour take a taxi from Petra back to Aqaba. Enjoy !

Patricia (Petra B&B)

New York City
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest way to see Petra Guided and unguided

Is it cheaper to hire the driver for the entire day and have him wait for you, or just hire him for the ride to Petra and get another Taxi from Petra back to Aqaba

I heard some of the Taxi drivers will only take you part of the way and make you change cabs.I want to make sure the taxi driver takes me all the way to Petra and all the way back to Aqaba

Petra
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest way to see Petra Guided and unguided

Then I suggest you book a driver through a travel agent or your hotel in Aqaba, it might cost you a little bit more but at least you know they don't deal with drivers who sell their customers on along the way.

Patricia (Petra B&B)

Amman
Level Contributor
837 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest way to see Petra Guided and unguided

Rent a car. The drive is easy and you will spend less.

Henk

Jordan Phototravel

Kaunas, Lithuania
Level Contributor
43 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest way to see Petra Guided and unguided

The best advice here!!! You can rent a car in Aqaba just from 40 EUR/day!!! Think about it!!!

Edited: 1:57 am, July 01, 2014
8. Re: Cheapest way to see Petra Guided and unguided

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 03, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Petra - Wadi Musa