We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions: Amman Airport<=>Petra while changing the flight

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
4 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions: Amman Airport<=>Petra while changing the flight

Hi

Me and wife are planning to visit Israel from Mumbai within three weeks. While looking on the flight options, we found an interesting connecting flight of Royal Jordanian which reaches Amman 8:30 AM and provides connection to Tel-Aviv at 7 AM next day. Hence it gives more than 20 hours in transit. I am looking into the possibility to use these transit hours to visit Petra or nearby places. But I have few doubts before booking this flights:

1. Can we actually visit Jordan while transiting the flights? Amman is just a change over Airport for us and we would be having a single ticket only for whole journey. If it possible to do a visit, then I have lot more questions to ask which are listed below:

2. Technically we would be transiting between two flights on a single ticket. We are not sure how our luggage would be taken care of in this case? Would Royal Jordanian keep it with themselves and transfer it to the connecting flight next day? If not then are there any clock room in Amman airport where we can keep our luggage for nearly 18-20 hours?

3. My understanding is that single entry visa (which is available on arrival) should be sufficient for our purpose of travel. Let me know if it is not correct.

4. How much time generally it takes to get the visa and to do other formalities on Amman Airport? I mean, if we land there around 8:30 Am, would it be possible to come out from the Airport by 9:30 AM?

5. How much amount generally taxi charges from Amman Airport to Petra and back? We are on a budget trip and would not be able to avail very expensive journey. We can’t catch JETT bus because it is only available in the early in the morning. What are the other cost effective option from Amman Airport by which we can reach Petra in time, visit the place and come back before flight? Are there public transport available which runs late in the evening or in the night from Petra to Amman? Are they safe?

6. Lastly; will there be any problem while entering Israel after having a Jordanian stamp on our passport? Some blogs suggest that and hence the doubt.

Please reply fast so that I can do the booking. Airfares are shooting up.

Thanks & Regards

Mohit

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
233 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions: Amman Airport<=>Petra while changing the flight

Hello Mohit,

How are you ? Firstly, you do need a visa to visit Jordan which is not hard to get at all. Secondly, please do concider staying in Amman itself as it is a Beautiful, history rich city, also the duration to petra from Amman/Amman airport is 5> hours :/ so Jordan itself needs a separate trip/vacation to tour. About your luggage, the checked-in luggage will be kept with the airline to be placed on the next flight, so my advice is to pack some clothes for your stop-over in Amman in a carry-on. And as I mentioned earlier, you do need to get a visa before hand, in the Jordanian consulate/embassy near you (if you need information on that I can assist you) Lastly, israelis love us Jordanians so no problem, the only problem you might face if you have an Iranian, Lebanese, Syrian stamp in your passport.

Enjoy !!! any more questions, I will be delightful to answer !!!

Best Regards,

Hamad Nabulsi -Amman

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
233 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions: Amman Airport<=>Petra while changing the flight

Also choosing RJ was a good decision they are one of the best airlines in the region

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
4 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions: Amman Airport<=>Petra while changing the flight

Thanks Hamad for valuable information and suggestions. I have few more doubts:

1. You said that we need to get visa beforehand. Why is it so? We need a single entry visa only which should be available on arrival. As per …visitjordan.com/GeneralInformation/… Indians does not need a prior visa clearance also. Does it take long if apply for Visa on Arrival?

2. I agree that we should visit Jordan completely in a separate trip but what I am looking now to make the most of this opportunity which gives me 20+ hours in Jordan. Petra was high on my list since long but your reply suggested that we might not have that time in hand to visit it satisfactorily. Well, would it not it possible if we take taxi also? Can you please let me know who much Taxi fare would be for Amman Airport to Petra and back same night. If Petra is not suggested than what all should I look for in Amman?

Regards

Mohit

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
233 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions: Amman Airport<=>Petra while changing the flight

Hello,

You should call the Jordanian embassy/consulate near you to make sure about the visa thing, as for its processing time, should it be given at the border/airport, it will take around 5 minutes. A taxi will not be keen to take you to Petra and if he would (which is not likely to happen) he will charge you a price that is ridiculously high because Petra is very far from Amman, my suggestions are whether you go with Jet (a buss company), rent a car with a navigational system (not recommended), or call Royal Jordanian as they have a program called "Zuwar" for transfer passengers who want to go outside of Amman. If you stay in Amman, which is something I reccomend, you will see Mount Nebo which is extremely magical, you can see the Dead Sea and Parts of Palestine from there , Citadel , Roman Theatre, and many many other historical attractions (but these three will hardly fit in one day) Not to mention Al-Rainbow Street, which is Located in Mount Amman (leave this for the night part of the day), where it is a street having many attractions, shops, and restaurants. If you decided to stay in Amman you should stay in one of these hotels as they are IN the city centre, and near the attractions (except Mount Nebo) Four Seasons Hotel Amman, Sheraton Amman, Le Royal Amman, Grand Hyatt Amman, or Intercontinental Amman.

Best of Luck

Hamad Nabulsi -Amman

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
233 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions: Amman Airport<=>Petra while changing the flight

You can also see the Baptism site near the Dead Sea which is not that far from Amman-around 1-1:30 hrs

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
4 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions: Amman Airport<=>Petra while changing the flight

Many thanks for the great information. It really helped us a lot.

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
233 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions: Amman Airport<=>Petra while changing the flight

Hello,

Do you need anything else ? Please ask

Hamad Nabulsi -Amman

Amman
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions: Amman Airport<=>Petra while changing the flight

Time wise you can visit Petra. Book a car with driver in advance. Will cost about JD100 (max).

Your flight arrives at 8:30. As you don't have to wait for your luggage you can head out straight away. Get a transit visa (valid 24 hours), hop in the car, arrive at Petra around noon (max). Walk around till about 6 and let the driver bring you to the hotel next to the airport. It will be a long day, but worth it.

Of course, you can drive yourself as well if you're not too tired from the night flight. It's easy and very straight forward.

Henk

Jordan Phototravel

9. Re: Suggestions: Amman Airport<=>Petra while changing the flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 01, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Petra - Wadi Musa