We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Jordan safe for solo woman traveller?

Which Petra - Wadi Musa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Is Jordan safe for solo woman traveller?

With the current unrest with Syria is it safe for a solo female travelling through Amman, the Dead Sea and Petra right now? I am planning to travel in a couple of weeks and I am having second thoughts about going. Also what is the best way to get from place to place? From the AMM airport to the city of Amman and then from Amman to the Dead Sea, then from there onto Petra and then to Aqaba and over the Red Sea to Sharm?

Advice from recent female travellers is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Petra
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Jordan safe for solo woman traveller?

Hi,

There are so many topics on the last few pages of this forum about safety in Jordan, please read them, they will put your mind at ease about coming to Jordan. This was the last one: tripadvisor.com/…49514285

For good information and tips for a single female traveling in the Middle East check this link on the Jordan Jubilee site: www.jordanjubilee.com/travelme/women.htm#top

Have a great time in Jordan !

Patricia (Petra B&B)

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
6,762 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Jordan safe for solo woman traveller?

Barracuda

Welcome to Jordan.

Jordan is a safe country to visit.

there are heaps of threads on the forum that can vouch for visiting Jordan as a safe country and safe for Female Solo traveler .

The best way to go about it is to stay at a hotel of hostel in Amman downtown.

there are establishments ,western orientated where travelers meet other like minded people.These visitors get grouped ,share trips and excursion to sites all over Jordan.They split the cost of the trip and have more fun.

This is the modern ideal and economical way to travel.

check these hotels and hostels on tripadvisor and read the reviews of people who actually stayed there.

cheers

haysville,kansas
Level Contributor
325 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Jordan safe for solo woman traveller?

I travelled solo to Egypt and Jordan last year. I never once had any problems. As a matter of fact, I intend to return this Fall to Jordan and Turkey. I had a driver to get around.

4. Re: Is Jordan safe for solo woman traveller?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 am, May 18, 2013
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Jordan safe for solo woman traveller?

Thank you everyone.

I'm sure last year in Jordan was safe but things have changed. I'm concerned about how to get around. I do not have a lot of time to make friends and travel plans because I need to see the Dead Sea and Petra in 4 days. Hiring a car seems expensive. Should I rent a car and drive or just bypass Jordan all together. I need to be at the tip of Sinai on day 5 and from what I'm hearing travel is not easy.

Thoughts?

Petra
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Jordan safe for solo woman traveller?

It is easy, you take an airport taxi to your hotel in Amman for the first night, do a day trip to the Dead Sea from there the next day. Then the next morning you take the Jett Bus (6.30 AM) to Petra, it's safe, reliable and very punctual so don't be late, you will be at the entrance around 10 AM. From Petra you can take a taxi or a local bus to Aqaba (keep in mind that there are no local buses on Fridays)

Patricia (Petra B&B)

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Jordan safe for solo woman traveller?

Thank you Patricia

Do you know about Aqaba to Sharm? Is that part reliable? I have a flight that I do t want to miss on day 5?

Thank you so much for the intel. I was considering omitting Jordan.

B

Petra
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Jordan safe for solo woman traveller?

Unfortunately not but a very reliable site for info on Aqaba and the different ferries is: http://www.your-guide-to-aqaba-jordan.com/# when you scroll down you can ask your question. Enjoy your time in Jordan !

Patricia (Petra B&B)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Jordan safe for solo woman traveller?

Hi,

I've never been to Jordan, am planning on going next yr 2014. But I've been to Morocco and Turkey solo and had no problems. But I went on a tour. I used Cosmos Tours, depending on where you are from, it might be called Archers--and they did a fabulous tour--I went on a separate one for both countries mentioned. And they take you to all the best historical sites and the tour guides were out of this world--most were Ph.D.s in history and I got so much more by having them give us the guided historical background while touring, not to mention so many interesting anecdotes about Jordanian or Moroccan culture etc. With the tour you will be safe and well looked after. You can get your own room etc and its nice because you meet others who are just as interested in the country as you. I highly recommend taking a good tour as I used to travel alone and get a taxi etcetc. You spend so much of the time planning or getting your arrangements, half the day is gone! But with a tour you dont have to worry about being ripped off or scammed, you will be at the places early--before all the busloads of tourist come and you are stuck waiting 2 hrs to see the sights...you just dont see anywhere near the amount of the country history etc. So, I would recommend it and you wont have to worry. Plus they take you to the best places to eat and also to go shopping. I used many guidebooks previously to find out these things--and boy, so many of the recommendations were not good. With Cosmos, I was blown away and even had a Moroccan man tell me, wow, you saw all that and did that? and it wasnt rushed, it was just travelling and seeing things smarter.

Good luck! and if you do go, post your experience. I'm sorry, Cosmos Tours doesnt go to Jordan, but Trafalgar does and they are also very good. I went to Machu Pichu Peru with them and it was a fabulous tour. Enjoy!

Soleil

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
218 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Jordan safe for solo woman traveller?

Go for it !, Jordan as a whole has a good reputation of being safe, however please be careful and do not go alone in the downtown where i advice you not to be there after sunset, however places like Abdoun, Sweifieh, and Malls are totally safe all time. You can check on royal Jordanian airlines (rj.com) where you can find transfers from and to Amman's QAJA airport. Good luck and have safe travels :) and I advice you to stay in the Kempinsky DeadSea :))