We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money exchange and Taxi cost at Israeli border to Petra

Boston
Level Contributor
67 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Money exchange and Taxi cost at Israeli border to Petra

I understand that leaving Israel and entering Jordan (at Eilat/Aqaba) there isn’t an ATM but some sort of money exchange booth. Would I do better exchanging USD or Shekels there? How are the rates, is there a big commission? As an alternative would it be better to pay for a taxi to Petra with USD or Shekels than exchanging money at the border? I’ve read that people have reported that it would be 55 JOD to Petra, but no one has mentioned other currencies (if accepted).

Petra - Wadi Musa...
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Money exchange and Taxi cost at Israeli border to Petra

Hi guest,

Welcome to Jordan

It is much better to exchange to USD, all the taxis drivers at the border accept USD

55JOD = 78 USD.

Enjoy

Jordan Beauty Tours

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money exchange and Taxi cost at Israeli border to Petra

At the Israeli terminal you'll find "Change Place LTD". This company won the bid to provide financial services at the border. You can see their rates here: http://www.cpl.co.il/english/XCrates.asp

As far as I know - they don't have commission. I haven't used the branch at Eilat/Aqaba border but used others - in other branches they didn't have commission so I assume it's the same there.

3. Re: Money exchange and Taxi cost at Israeli border to Petra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 04, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Petra - Wadi Musa