We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tennis shoes or Skeches GoRun runners

Which Petra - Wadi Musa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Level Contributor
46 posts
748 reviews
Save Topic
Tennis shoes or Skeches GoRun runners

We are visiting Petra and Wadi Rum in May. I want to know if my tennis shoes (Keds) would be Ok or should I buy lightweight mesh type running shoes like Skeches GoRun or a lightweight mesh Nike product? I want my feet to be comfortable, not hot and sweaty. I don't own a pair of Skeches/Nike type runners yet so I have no experience with how my feet will feel in them. I am considering buying a pair as I am unsure if the tennis shoes will have enough cushioning from the desert heat. I am in my late 60's on a tour with others to Petra and the Wadi Rum on the same day so I expect there won't be that much time to climb or explore different areas in Petra. So tennis shoes or a leightweight mesh type runner like Skecher.Nike? Thanks for your reply.

Fontainebleau
Destination Expert
for Petra - Wadi Musa
Level Contributor
2,885 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tennis shoes or Skeches GoRun runners

I doubt very much indeed if tennis shoes will stand up to walking in Petra, It sounds as if you are only planning on a jeep tour in Wadi Rum, so that should be OK, but be prepared to discard the shoes completely after visiting Peetra.

If you do end up buying something, then buy trekking sandals, they are open to the air, but have sturdy soles. Be sure to have the toes covered against sand and grit.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
46 posts
748 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tennis shoes or Skeches GoRun runners

Thanks for your reply.

Could you tell me please why you didn't comment on Nike type runners as a possible choice for the Petra and Wadi Rum excursions?

I googled trek sandals to see what they looked like. All are open on the sides. Wouldn't sand get into the sandal via these side openings?

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tennis shoes or Skeches GoRun runners

I would avoid sandals

Get some lighweight breathable walking shoes, not running shoes.

I'm not sure which stores are available in Vancouver but they are there...

Dr. Z

San Vitaliano, Italy
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tennis shoes or Skeches GoRun runners

Ciao

I would recommend skeches go runner shoes. Something that allows your feet to breath. Wadi Rum is a desert full of red sand. climbing is a must do.

Ciao

Vancouver
Level Contributor
46 posts
748 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tennis shoes or Skeches GoRun runners

Thanks for your replies. I did buy a pair of mesh Skechers runners for this visit to Petra and they were just wonderful! Lightweight, not hot, didn't notice my feet were sweaty until I removed the socklets after the 3 hour visit. If one were just walking from the Siq to the Treasury, sandals might be OK as this area seems to be paved to make it easier for the donkey wagons to travel fast. However, if one is interested in walking along the wadi from the Outer Siq to the colonaded Roman ruins, athletic shoes (closed toes definitely) will keep the loose pebbles and sand out of your toes. I did notice that the red sand gets into the shoe (probably through the mesh) and for several wearings after the bottom of my socks were red. However, this fact was not enough to discard the runners which I am still wearing now that I am home from the trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
218 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tennis shoes or Skeches GoRun runners

Throughout Jordan, I wore my 2 year old Merrell Lorelei Mary Jane velcro strap "runners" which can accommodate my orthotics. They have mesh & leather uppers & a really durable walking sole. I wore Kathmandu ankle walking socks. It was well over 40c in the Wadi Rum desert and in Petra, yet my feet did not feel hot and only a small amount of sand got in. Not enough to be noticeable or cause blisters. I washed the red sand out of both my socks & shoes at the end of our adventures in Wadi Rum & Petra ... ready for my next outback adventure!

7. Re: Tennis shoes or Skeches GoRun runners

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 07, 2014