We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PETRA in a day: questions

Washington DC
Level Contributor
756 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
PETRA in a day: questions

I see that the day time temperature in the middle of November is forecast to be in the high 80's. We will be leaving with a car and driver from our hotel in Aqaba early one morning and plan to spend the day in Petra.

So questions are

1. What clothing is considered appropriate? Should I wear long pants or Capri’s?

2. I read that after your entry, you can get a guide for free. Is that still true or should we try and book a guide prior to departing for Jordan?

What does the guide include in the tour?

3. I have read about when to take a ride at the beginning or at the end of the tour. What is advised? We are good shape but still in our 70's.

4. How long does the donkey ride to the Monastery take? Is that advisable given our ages? We have climbed the Great Wall and now use trekking poles, but after my climb to the top of Mt. Sinai, I think we need to ride? Is there a special place to get the donkey?

5. I read that you can use US Dollars in Petra for tips etc. Is that true?

5. Any other advice you might have would be welcome.

Thanks in Advance.

Petra Nights Tours Jordan
Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Abdullah Nawafleh - Private Guide
Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Jordan Desert Hikes
Caverns & Caves, Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Private Tours
Shobak Castle
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Day Trips, Private Tours
Petra
Level Contributor
2,932 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PETRA in a day: questions

Hi,

1. Capri's are fine, bring a light sweater too just in case it would be a cloudy day.

2. A guided tour used to be included in your entry ticket, not sure if this is still the case, sometimes people tell me it is and others tell me there were no guides available for the group tour... anyway ask when you buy your ticket. There's no need to book a guide in advance, you can decide to take one when you buy your ticket, should the group guide not be included. A private guide for the Petra City Tour costs 50 JOD, he will take you from the entrance to the museum / restaurant area, just before the climb to the Monastery.

3. A short horse ride from the entrance to the beginning of the Siq is included in your entry ticket. A small tip is expected though.

4. The climb to the Monastery will take between 20 and 30 minutes by donkey. You will find plenty of donkeys and mules close to the restaurant just before the climb starts. On foot, walking at a normal pace it will take around 45 minutes.

5. Yes dollars are widely accepted. The exchange rate is fixed to 1 USD = 0.708 JOD

Enjoy your visit !

Patricia

Washington DC
Level Contributor
756 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PETRA in a day: questions

Thanks so much for taking time to answer all of my questions. I have one more, can we use a Visa or MasterCard instead of cash? We will have local currency but just wondered in case we run out. Just thought of another question. Would a Friday, Saturday or Sunday be a better day for a one day tour? Thanks again.

Petra
Level Contributor
2,932 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PETRA in a day: questions

The entrance fee in Petra can only be paid in cash unfortunately. There are 4 ATM's in Wadi Musa, 3 in the center of town and 1 at the Movenpick Hotel near the entrance of Petra.

Friday and Saturday are weekend here, on these days it's usually a bit busier with Jordanians. So if you have a choice, I would pick another day to visit.

Patricia

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: PETRA in a day: questions

We got caught out by the cash only for tickets. Weirdly though many of the stalls in the site accept plastic. Go figure!

3. I'd recommend taking a camel back from the bottom of the city to the Treasury at the end of the day. It saves you a long dusty climb back up the hill and is jolly good fun. The going rate is 20 JD per camel from the Qasr al Bint, or 15 JD from the 'non-union' camels near the arch slightly further up. We managed to get two for 20JD total a the end of the day, but I think that was an exception.

4. About 200 m accent is commonly quoted for the climb to the Monastery if that helps you judge your capabilities.

London
Level Contributor
716 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PETRA in a day: questions

How much do you tip for the donkey ride that is included in the entrance ticket?

Petra - Wadi Musa...
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: PETRA in a day: questions

The horse ride included in the entrance tickets, not the donkey :)

Tip for the horse ride 5-10$.

Enjoy

Jordan Beauty Tours

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
432 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PETRA in a day: questions

OP: I recommend that you walk in the beginning. It's a 15 minute leisure walk to the Siq but there is no shade. Free horse ride to the Siq only is not free since you have to tip. it's a hassle. After that, another 25 or so minutes to get to the treasury. Plenty of shade. You might need your trekking poles since it's uneven in some spots but not all. The walk to the restaurant is another 20-30 minutes. No shade, you will be baking so bring water and sunscreen. A hat will help alot. If you can do the great wall I'm sure you can go up to the monestary. It's the heat that's going to determine if you need a donkey to go up the monestary. hope it helps.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
78 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PETRA in a day: questions

You can ride on donkeys, horses or camels in Petra. Prices are negotiable. The donkey ride to the monastery was offered at 40JD, then as we got closer to the start of the climb the price was dropping to 7. Not a bad climb, especially if youstop in at the restaurant first for a cool down and drink

Washington DC
Level Contributor
756 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PETRA in a day: questions

we will be leaving for Aqaba soon and then on to Petra. Since i has been raining off and on since we arrived, I wondered if this will have an effect on Petra being opened? Is there a number to call to make certain that Petra will be opened? Thanks for everyones help.

Petra
Level Contributor
2,932 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: PETRA in a day: questions

Petra has been open these last few days, only when there is a heavy downpour they might decide to evacuate visitors via the back road by jeep. That happened once last winter in December. It only rained here on Friday, Saturday was dry and sunny and yesterday we had a little bit of rain, nothing bad. This morning is cloudy but dry. This bad weather should be over soon, according to the Meteorological Department today would be the last cold day. met.jometeo.gov.jo/jometeo/e_main?p_plcid=310

Enjoy your stay !

Patricia (Petra B&B)